Help with Id and interest in a wide plank.

yeolwoodsman

Rolf Warncke
I've come across a wide plank canoe for sale. Told the seller I would hate to see it turned into book cases and would be interested to see it restored. All I have is the photo off the internet and what little I could see when I looked at it earlier today. It's still available and I would like to see it saved but have very little knowledge on value for this style canoe. What might a fair and reasonable offer be for it if that's possible to judge from the photos?
A couple of boards have splits in them, as can be seen in the photo, about 3/16" wide at some points. There is an old town decal on the combing at the front. I didn't think old town did this style. I thought it was more of a Peterborough. The stem bands are narrow with broken and missing parts. Not much rot on it at all. It's been a store display piece for many years.
I'm interested in any thoughts as I need to pick this up tomorrow morning if I'm going to save it.
canoe.jpg

Offered by Old Town only in 1929 - see attached. I believe Benson has posted more information on these forums.

Attachments

• PAGE-28.GIF
    PAGE-28.GIF
    167.7 KB · Views: 571
Thanks samb and Dan Miller! The blog on your restoration was very interesting. The boat is now in my possession. Still contemplating wether to keep it or move it along.

Back