Guideboat under construction

Mike Howland

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Hello all,
I thought I'd post a few photos of my latest project. Something to look at on your lunch breaks.
It's a guideboat based on details within John Michne's book. Thanks also to Gary Jacuk for an extra set of plans he had printed out. (but yes, I did buy John's book along with several others :)

This is a stripper version of a guideboat so I know it's not authentic to the originals but it's my first attempt at boat building and it looked like I could contain it. Perhaps I'll plank the next one. The lumber's also unusual. It came from a factory that was torn down about 15 years ago. It was built in the 1850's I believe. Given the tightness of the grain, the timber must be old growth. It looks like cypress to me but I'm not 100% sure. Outer stems and other trim will be Cherry.
-mike

Attachments

• boat1.jpg
    boat1.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 447
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 436
  • boat3.jpg
    boat3.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 452
  • boat4.jpg
    boat4.jpg
    220 KB · Views: 460
  • boat5.jpg
    boat5.jpg
    200 KB · Views: 437
Well done. Seems like you've made a great deal of progress quickly.
Thanks Gary. I had a few weeks off during the holidays and we didn't travel so I was working 6 or 7 hours a day on it. Lot's of fun so far.
Currently scraping/sanding and refining the inside before moving forward. I won't be bored for a while.

Attachments

• aaabbb.jpg
    aaabbb.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 297
Great looking boat...Do you have any completed photos? If you need hardware let me know.

Back