Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Grand Lake Stream Area, Maine

Discussion in 'Places to Paddle' started by Fitz, May 25, 2013.

1. Fitz

Fitz Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

The Norumbegas took a spring wilderness trip last week. A Trip Report is in the works. Robin also has a Trip Report over at Canoetripping.net http://www.canoetripping.net/forums/

I thought I would share a few photos. We were wind bound the second day out which was not unexpected, but it resulted in a change of plans and a much more leisurely trip.

On the way out of the woods, we stopped to see Dale Tobey in his shop in Grand Lake Stream. Dale is also a Maine Guide and was a great help in the trip planning and builds wonderful Grand Laker Canoes (photo by Robin Laurer). Prospector in high seas photo is also by Robin Laurer.

Attached Files:

2. Treewater

Treewater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

Nice pictures Fritz. the 5th one, is that considered "heavy waters?"

3. Grandlaker

Grandlaker Builder & Restorer

Fitz You mite have had a windy day but I would take it over the rain i've been guiding in for the last 5 days strait. It was great meeting all of you. I am looking forward to the Assembly . Glad you had a good time and anytime you or anyone needs assistance around Washington co. give me a call.

4. rangerkevin

rangerkevin LOVES Wooden Canoes

Can't wait to get up to that area again in just over 2 weeks! Maybe run into you around Dale. Certainly at assembly if you're going (which it sounds like!)

5. robin

robin LOVES Wooden Canoes

Great Trip!

It was a great trip in spite of the wind. It was the first time for me to travel with all wood canoes, and to have 4 of them be Chestnuts really put the icing on the cake....
    Speaking of cake, Fitz and Dave's cakes from the reflector oven where a welcome addition with so much campsite time...
    John Fitzgerald, Son Branden with "Sadie Dog" (great trippers all) in front of Fitz's Beautful 17' Chestnut Prospector

[​IMG]

Steve Lapey in his 15' Chestnut Chum
    [​IMG]

Aforementioned Cake, ummmmm!!!!

[​IMG]

Dale (Grandlaker) in green Checked jacket explaining a repair to a Grandlaker,

[​IMG]

Robin in Fitz's Prospector,

[​IMG]

6. Grandlaker

Grandlaker Builder & Restorer

Kevin
    Stop in when your here, I have a Sprague built Grand Laker in real good condition needing a restoration. Would make you a great canoe.

7. rangerkevin

rangerkevin LOVES Wooden Canoes

I'll try and stop by. We'll be up to Pappys. Tempting me with a Grand Laker huh? ;) Just for curiosity sake what were you looking for it? May make me plan a little different if it is doable.