Gerrish stuff...

chris pearson

Michigan Canoe Nut
Pulling some mild hogg out of the Gerrish open gunwale from Denis and Kathy. 2X4's and hot water should do the trick. Notice the rib extension, nice steel bracket! No L shaped outwale either, guess thats why he used a rail cap to cover planking and canvas. Interesting. This canoe was restored years ago, and some wrongs need to be righted. Can't wait to start reconstruction.

Attachments

• 102_3128.jpg
    102_3128.jpg
    357 KB · Views: 417
  • 102_3125.jpg
    102_3125.jpg
    380.5 KB · Views: 400
  • 102_3142.jpg
    102_3142.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 425
  • 102_3130.jpg
    102_3130.jpg
    338.5 KB · Views: 414
Hog didn't pull out, looks like lots of water and sandbags will be the next trick. Anyone got any more ideas?

Fiberglass? Bookcases?;)
Have you suspended it between two points, and loaded the centre up and steamed under, while pouring boiling water over it? Try to go a little beyond, since it will spring back. I've seen it done on larger strip built boats, should go well with this one. How much hog and over what length are you wresting with?

about.......

1/2" in 2 places, probably due to storing upright on some horses or something......ugly!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_0021.JPG
    IMG_0021.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0022.JPG
    IMG_0022.JPG
    232 KB · Views: 297
  • IMG_0023.JPG
    IMG_0023.JPG
    224.8 KB · Views: 303
I'm watching this with great interest, hoping to learn something, because my Dan Neal boat has about 1 1/8" hog. I expect I will have to remove the keel, steam it and re-bend it, but I will also have to reshape the hull itself, as you are doing.

ssm copy 100_5491.jpg ssm copy 100_5726.jpg

I have had good luck with hogg improving by putting a convex curve into the edge a strong-back 2x6 with a 5/8"-3/4" depth in the middle to over bend the keel line. Screw the 2x6 on the outer bottom placing screws in the keel screw holes or hoping there is enough gap between the bottom planks to avoid creating new holes if there is no keel. Screwing through a batten on the inside adds strength to the bending process. Leave the strong-back in place for as long as possible after the soaking the hull gets with finish removal, bleaching and a lot of water rinsing. Using hot water helps. It could be awkward but leave the strong back on as long as possible when replacing ribs and planking and doing other trim repairs. After the hull is COMPLETELY dry and with new ribs and planking in place the hogg should be gone or greatly improved. Maybe a little rocker will result.

R.C.

I did that only didnt overcompensate for the hogg with the board. Kept pouring hot water in it and left it for 2 months. Sprang right back to where it was, grunt.

Sorry you have not had a better result, Chris. Maybe by the time the Eastern built canoes have traveled across the country they are so relaxed or just plain tired they are easier to deal with.

R.C.

You're the boss. It's well known. What I did was to use towels on the area with weights on the towels and poured lots and lots of boiling water all over it as if I was bending a rib from the git go. Perhaps your initial try wasn't hot enough?

I am doing the opposite. I have a 18' HW that I am working on refattening the bottom, which when it came in was almost round. 2 x 4's, steam and heat and bracing to the ceiling...It will sit that way until my new knee lets me back into the shop....

I think I got it......

Well, set the old gal on the horses with boards between the stems and the horses. Soaked it for 2 days with towels inside everywhere. Loaded it up with 200 lbs of sand, and left it for 24 hours. Came home from the Quiet Water Symposium, flipped her over and the hogging was gone! For now! So, I set her on the concrete, soaked the hell out of it again and put the sand back in her. I think some more soaking and then let it dry on its own will do the trick. One note though, I did notice that this 102+ year old gal has some pretty weak ribs, even though they appear thick(.170"). I think it was easier to flex them than a newer canoe would be, just shows some of these old canoes need to be handled as such, with a soft touch and respect. I don't think any of these guys, including Evan Gerrish, expected these canoes to last anywhere near as long as they have, I'm sure it's been said time and time again. Cross your fingers.:eek:

Attachments

• IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    222.2 KB · Views: 321
  • IMG_0037.jpg
    IMG_0037.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 302
Congratulations Chris! I knew you would not let a 102 year old get the better of you. Is arm wrestling next?

R.C.

:mad:Gerrish - 1, Chris - 0. The old gal isn't giving up, bottom popped right back where is was. Plan B, hanging it and overbending with the sand bags and forgetting about it for a while. God I hate it when McDaniel and Thurlow are right......... I hope my employer doesn't mind this "hanging" around for a few weeks, uhg.

Attachments

• IMG_0040.JPG
    IMG_0040.JPG
    257.2 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_0039.JPG
    IMG_0039.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 301
Chris, fwiw i doubt your drying process was long enuf - 102 years to warp, put back into shape in 2 days and then to dry (if i read your posts right, although there are some fumes today). Have you considered bending it past straight, then slow drying it while allowing for springback? Again, forgive me if i missed something. Anyways, dont be discouraged since it would make a great motorcycle - pisses all over the floor like my Nortons and Harley did...:D:D:D

No, I totally agree, I didn't overbend long enough the 1st time. This time, round 2, I'll hit it with more hot water and overbend for days or even weeks. It took 102 years to do this, I'm not going to compensate for that in a couple days. Just dont want it to go the other way either, this is black art.

Back