Fly Plate For Assembly Auction

Here's the deal, Splinter

Dan house trained? Not a chance. If you have to think about this deal I had better warn his wife. She is about to sedate his morning rum and coke [still morning here] and send him to you. Canadian Pacific Rail still has baggage cars for canoes. It's only about $60.00 CAD [$53.40 USD]. We can wrap and send him in an old Peterborough I have as soon as you send the shipping costs and diamonds to us. Don't delay as he might catch on.

Shipping and Handling

You realize this scheme you and Dan's wife have cooked up to get rid of him makes you both highly suspect when the Peterborough Canoe shows up here (what year did you say it was...?) and I don't remember a thing about the guy who was supposed to accompany it. Dan, I'm sure is "on to you" both by now. I will be sure and send him a message about it. BUSTED!!! Splinter

DARN>>>>>>>Busted again!!!!

And after 40 years of marriage to the same lady I was hoping to present her with her first real diamond. I guess she will have to settle for a "1939" Peterborough canoe instead. Thanks for the fun Splinter.

The "Same lady" as Dan!?!?! Wow, you people up der in BC shur do marry funny, eh? Not enough lady-folk to go around, is that it? How long has Dan been married to her? Does he know about you? Hey, your secrets safe with me, buddy. Splinter

Last edited:
Dan

Dave says you like rum & coke first thing in the morning. Too bad, I myself go for a jar of marshmallow fluff with a vodka chaser (SKYY please). I guess we don't have that much in common after all. Dang! See, you think you know someone and then this comes out.........

NOW CAN WE ALL GET BACK TO GATHERING FLIES FOR THE FLY-PLATE PLEASE, SO FAR I HAVE 5 COMMITTEED COULD USE 4-6 MORE. Thank you VERY much! Splinter

You guys are way too funny.The only place Im going is paddling!
Splinter Im glad you can use the fly tying material,if ever you need some more just ask.
I had alot of fun with this post Nice to talk to different folks with same interests.
I was up dragging a fly around the local lake last night.If the fish do not want to bite they can starve .....Right:p

I totally appreciate your materials.

Man your generosity is awesome. I am tying you a selection of different flies, a few with the material you sent. What else do you trap/shoot/scavenge? I'm always interested in tying materials that have a different texture/color/length/sheen/ etc.
Do you need any Turkey Tail Quills? I have tons right now.
Glad you weren't offended by my humor. It's nice to have a chance to break up the day with nonsense banter, takes my mind off my legal battle, upcoming grandchild, the merging of 2 companies into one, trying to figure out how to get to be 3 inches taller, speaking engagments I'm not prepared for and now 2 canoes in the hospital. Let's have some fun before we die eh?

My daughter went to Culinary School in beautiful Vancouver, so I picked that (eh?) up from her when she got back to the land of cheese, sausage and beer. Neato, huh?!

Splinter

Fly-Plate Auction Item

Fly-Tyers:
So far I have committments for 5 flies for the fly-plate. (You know who you are) It would be nice to get 5-7 more. I need them before June 9th so I have time to mount and frame them. Looking forward to hearing from you. Splinter

Margaret's Address

Here ya go Harv........It was in the very first post on this thread.
I'm going to tie a nice colorful streamer for the plate. The plate should be cool.:D
Send to: Margaret Fisher a.k.a.Splinter
6432 River Court
West Bend, WI 53095

Splinter

Is that name taken from one of your rods or one of your canoes???
I get all sorts of requests for different tying material.Best one ever was for owl eyelids seems the eye lashes swim very seductively when tied into a fly-bug legs or something.
You tiers are always on the lookout for something different ,anything that can be spun on a hook to catch fish.Was also asked for the stained fur from the end of a coyotes ,,,let say spout Seems the yellow is the right colour to mimic something or another irresistable to the trout apparently.So I will look for something different for you.Hey these stories are true a person couldnt make up stuff like that!
Hope you get on OK with the rest of your worries.Heres a tip for that height thing-Throw away those flats and pumps and go with heels them spikey ones.Cross one portage in them and the heels will pick up so much leaf litter and stuff nobody will notice that your wearing them AND voila your taller.:D
Good luck with the fly plate sounds nice.Ill make an Assembly sometime
Dan'l

Always thinkin'

Geez you guys are always thinkin up neato helpful stuff for women. I sure do appreciate your "Portaging in heels" height solution. Small wonder I never thought of it..... It does seem a little temporary, at the end of the portage, I will still be 5' 4.5"! As far as those odd ball tying materials go, I don't use any canine butt-hole material. I know that red fox butt-hole is a real pricey find here. But I don't tie the flies that use it so thankfully, not in need. I have very much material currently and some of my students bring me found materials or fish or something from time to time so I'm set. Let me know when you get the flies I sent. Dave Wermuth got his yesterday so yours are going to be there soon.
BTW, "Splinter" is nickname from being in the Hardwood industry for 25 years and always having at least one splinter in me somewhere that I'm trying to do a home surgery on. Chronic industry problem.
Thanks again for your generosity. Splinter

Well it was athought anyways.Appreciate your humour and fun to post.
Not many harwoods out here to speak of.Most canoes and restorations get trimmed in birch,but I can get long clear lengths of it.Always on the lookout for some type of hardwood.Sounds like an interesting job.

YES and a big THANKS

I recieved them and have tried one so far.Then we had a spell of hot weather then rain which dirtied up our water.With all the run off from the mountains here it will be awhile before I try them locally.But we are heading out the door right quick for the spring meet in Manning Provincial park So I will drag one behind the boat Hopefully with more luck.
Thanks again
Daniel

Fly plate

Hope to see a picture posted probably would help promote the sale of it caught a hatch of mayflys last nite trout were jumping in my canoe and rummaging in my fly box for them

More flies

Calling all (the rest of the) Fly-tiers.

Right now I have in hand, flies for the auction plate from Dave Osborn, Dave Wermuth, Margaret Fisher, Jay Boyer & F. Harvey Bowley. I have committments but as yet, no flies from Dan Millers son, paulter and Alan Mapes. Reminder to send these to me by June 8th. There is still room for 3 or 4 more. It would be nice if someone from Canada or Europe would send one. We are not looking for museum, professional/celebrity level type flies. The idea is member teamwork and a nice representation of our diverse membership. Several people have offered but then backed out thinking thier flies aren't good enough. Forget it. If you tie "bait" we'll take it. Send your carefully packaged fly to: Margaret Fisher, 6432 River Court, West Bend, WI , USA 53095 Remember to put your signature on a piece of plain white cardstock 1" high by 2.5" wide and include it. Thanks to all who are taking a moment to contribute and make this a success.

Back