Epifane's Yacht Enamel colors...

Howie

Wooden Canoe Maniac
I just put the 1st paint coat on an old Morris with for a fella who selected Epifane's Yacht Enamel #30 'Teal Green'. A truly awful color!
20210414_143100.jpg 20210414_144456.jpg
This has to go. I'm thinking I ought to stick with one of Epifane's enamels... Can some of you reply with pics showing other enamel colors you've chosen? Something that would be appropriate for a 115 year old canoe!

Colour will look great with a flattening agent added. Knock down the gloss and it will look much better , or add some black

The #30 Teal Green actually looks pretty good on the Epiphanes color chart, at least as reproduced on my laptop's monitor -- a constant problem when working from color chart chips. Andre's suggestions well may produce something acceptable. But then maybe the canoe owner likes having his canoe looks like it is a plastic boat -- ain't no accounting for taste!

I recently ran into that problem staining a fence -- the first color turned out to be far to dark when applied -- it took four more attempts using actual samples rather than relying on the color chart to get what we wanted.

Andre is sure his suggestion will produce something acceptable.
and he hates people who refer to themselves in the third person.

interlux flattening agent works well with epifanes if used correctly, used it many times. antique boats look crappy all glossed up.
good luck

I'm wondering what is wrong with the color? To me it's sort of like the Chestnut color.
Would I like to see it a bit darker, sure, but it's a lot better then say yellow or red.

Aw gee Dan... I have to disagree with your view of the color. It hurts my eyes to see it. Like Pepto Bismal except green! Yes, I could try and make it darker by adding, say, black a la Andre, but I'd rather buy it than screw around. And BTW, I like yellow!

Craig: Thanks for the pic of #62. I like it. It was one I was considering.

I painted my 1972 Guide yellow (ACE Hardware floor enamel) - not necessarily because I favor yellow canoes, but because it set off the rosy shades of the wood better than anything else I could find.

guide2z.jpg

Our daughter's choice, beside mine, Cobalt Blue.

Attachments

• Em and Charlotte in Turq.JPG
    Em and Charlotte in Turq.JPG
    215.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Blue and Teal canoes.jpg
    Blue and Teal canoes.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 292
Ya, I figured my comment would bring out some nice pics.

It's a good thing everybody thinks differently, it would be a boring world if everything was the same.

It's important to be one with nature. :D
Actually, this was supposed to be one of those old time canoe shots with the red/black buffalo plaid wool jacket and a hat, but despite being mid October, it happened to be about 85 degrees that day and I was frying.

guide7.jpg

And if you have more than one canoe, there is no rule that says you can't have one with subdued coloring along with your red and yellow canoes.

100_3454 cr.jpg

Hey, teal green is awesome.

Attachments

• 20200625_193856-01.jpeg
    20200625_193856-01.jpeg
    169.8 KB · Views: 218
  • 20190921_131847-01.jpeg
    20190921_131847-01.jpeg
    345 KB · Views: 226
index.php

Nice canoe and paint combo Greg but I would have a word with the person who last parked your car :)

I like Epifanes but it is high gloss and shows every plank mark so will try a flattening agent when I next repaint my Pal.

My Daughter graduated from Saint Lawrence University and, unless I'm seeing that bottom paint color wrong, that combination would play quite well there.
index.php

Back