Don't think I can fix it.

sjmoore69

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I saw this under a building and had to look. I don't have the experience to undertake such a project. Would this be better off hanging from the rafters?
1.jpg 3.jpg2.jpg

steve

It's hard to tell just how much needs to be done on this canoe from the photos, but I would guess, based on your earlier posts on the stripper you built, that repair/restoration of this canoe is well within your abilities.

Before making any decision about whether and how to repair or restore a canoe, you would do well to get, or at least look at -- "The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance" by Rollin Thurlow and Jerry Stelmok, and/or "Building the Maine Guide Canoe" by Jerry Stelmok.

The first is often called the "bible" of canoe repair, restoration, and maintenance; the second is an excellent study of the wooden/canvas canoe and its construction.

The woodworking/boatbuilding techniques used for a wood/canvas canoe are different than those used for a stripper -- but not necessarily more difficult.

The canoe appears to be a good fixer-upper project, and should not be left to merely hang, unused, from the rafters of a barn or crawl space. My 2 cents.

Greg

Back