Diamond in the rough....where to start

Scott Herod

Hello all, I just brought home what I think is a real steal, a 16' square stern cedarglass canoe that a semi retired hunter was going to cut up and put out for the garbage truck. Cost me 20 bucks, seems to be very light and solid. The only problem I can see , other than the home made camoflage paintjob, is the gunnals(sp) are pretty much rotted away. It was stored outside, upside-down, which I'm sure was the cause of the rot. It's my first canoe of this construction and I have no idea where to start on it. Whatever needs to be done has to wait until the winter ends as I have no workshop, but I can amass materials while it's cold and tackle it in the spring. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.
Thanking everyone in advance......
Scott

The best way to start is by posting here... and the most-likely first suggestion anyone gets is to buy or borrow the book "The Wood and Canvas Canoe" by Stelmok and Thurlow.

Pictures are very welcome, too...

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion.the book is on it's way and my new treasure is tucked in beside my '68 Dodge, out of the elements for the first time in a number of years I expect. Pictures will follow,perhaps showing some of my restoration efforts.

Back