Creation of a Canoe 1950

Fitz

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
In Memoriam
I apologize in advance if this has been posted before, but I did a search on it and didn't find it on the Forum, and I don't remember ever seeing it. I came across this short film showing how Old Town built canoes in the 1950's. What a wonderful view back in time!

Great stuff, it is interesting to see much younger versions of the people I knew when I was a child there in the 1960s.

Benson

That is Clyde Hinckley and his capabilities are well detailed on page 103 of Sue Audette's boot about Old Town. "Clyde prided himself in doing three canoes a day, equaling about 4,500 tacks!"

Benson

Reactions: MGC
A visit to the factory was always a highlight of our trips to Maine. It was incredible to be able to wander around in there and see everything that was happening. Being able to wander through everyday...that must have been something.
It was not the same after things were shuffled to build the glass canoes but it was still pretty darned great.

Welcome, Linda....I remember well a fraternity brother of mine , Bob Hinckley of Hinckley Yachts in Maine. Was he related to Clyde and I guess you ? As the years have passed and I renewed my work on boats, I learned of many College mates coming from Maine boating families....Benson and his folks, Gerrish, Pulsifer, Hinckley....what a crew.
Dave

He was also featured in a Bangor Daily News article as shown below. This is probably from the early 1960s but the date was not noted. He was quite a showman when any visitors came through, although he never said much.

Benson

BANGOR-1.jpg
BANGOR-2.jpg

Back