Closing In The Bottom Question

Lickboot

Curious about Wooden Canoes
Ok I have worked passed one side on stripping my canoe, here is my question...
image.jpg
There is one side of my canoe....

image.jpg
Now this is cut back 1/8 inch back from center.

image.jpg
This is the other side striped up a hair past center.

image.jpg
Now this channel is cut at exactly 1/2 inch wide and straight down the center with a router and plank for a guide.

image.jpg
And this is what it would look like with the strip in place glued in the length of the canoe. I was thinking that it gets me away from trying to get perfect cuts all the way down the center.

Now question would this be strong once glasses inside and out? I had a few nice guys on here trying to figure out what I was trying to explain.

Yes, Once glassed, your hull will be strong enough !
You should be fine !

I prefer to cut the center with a Japanese Pull saw, over a router ! A Slight slip with the router could easily Ruin your hull ! Cutting the line you want, would be Much better done by hand over a power tool. You can come back and dress up your cuts with a small hand plane !

By the way I highly recommend a good Pull saw ! They are so easy, and you can cut in very small increments with ease !

Sorry ! I wasn't sure of your Question !

Jim

Yes, Once glassed, your hull will be strong enough !
You should be fine !

I prefer to cut the center with a Japanese Pull saw, over a router ! A Slight slip with the router could easily Ruin your hull ! Cutting the line you want, would be Much better done by hand over a power tool. You can come back and dress up your cuts with a small hand plane !

By the way I highly recommend a good Pull saw ! They are so easy, and you can cut in very small increments with ease !

Sorry ! I wasn't sure of your Question !

Jim

Lol that's ok!!, I will look into the saw, thanks jim

Why reinvent the wheel? I've only built one stripper, long ago. This was my first serious woodworking project ever, so I was not an experienced woodworker. I stripped the center line as Dan describes above. It was easy and quick, and the planking junctions were perfectly aligned and tight. Over the decades we've used the canoe countless times and it's still in excellent condition.

Back