clip art canoe outlines?

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
I'm hunting for some canoe-shape outlines as 'clip-art' to insert into a document. What I want to be able to do is change the color inside the outline and then try out various 'decorations' and see if I like the color combinations and appearance. An object that could go into powerpoint would work well. Anyone know where to find these on the internet, or have one you can post to this site, or email to me? tommccld@gmail
Thanks. Tom McCloud

Tom,
I have FoxFire and on their start page under web there is a heading "images" . When I enter canoe , thousands of images relating to canoes comes up.
Hope that helps.
Denis

I have a whole computer full of simple canoe profile drawings. Most have sail rigs attached, but that's why they invented the "delete" key. The trick would be finding a transfer format that you could use. I draw on a 20 year-old obsolete copy of MacDraw Pro, which is pretty limited in its output formats by today's standards (eps seems to be the cleanest). They're simple drawings and mostly just drawn by eye, rather than scaled. Colors and gradients could be changed to something solid with a mouse-click. Let me know if you think they would help with the project.

Attachments

• PROFILES.jpg
    PROFILES.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 468
RE:clip-art canoe outlines

Thanks to all for the responses. There is no shortage of canoe-cartoons available as clip-art, but as far as I know I cannot change the shape or color of those. If there is a way, I don't know it.
Dennis, I am a firefox user but do not see 'images' on the header, so have been unable to check there.
Todd, I am not familiar with MacDraw...is it apple-macintosh software? - I would assume? If so there will likely be a problem trying to use your images in powerpoint, but I'd be willing to give it a try. Do you know what suffix the files have? JPEG , GIF or TIFF would be good.

I can draw a sort of lumpy-looking canoe shape in powerpoint, but it doesn't look very good and certainly not publication-quality. Ideally there is a canoe-shaped object available someplace that can be used in powerpoint. TM..

Todd's images are JPEG. I saved them-- very cool and will come in handy when I make next year's decorations for the chapter Christmas tree!

MacDraw is an ancient Macintosh drawing program. I have a rather bass-ackwards way of sending drawings, but it works for my purposes when I'm doing quotes for sails, drawing plans, etc. I draw them on my old Mac (80 mhz processor, 500MB hard drive - seriously old) and can save them in either eps file or PDF file form. PDFis easier, but it sometimes does strange things to curves, so if quality is important, then eps works better and the detail it will capture is really excellent (far better than typical screen resolution). In fact, all the illustrations for my book were done on that old Mac and sent to WoodenBoat as eps files for printing.

I pull the files out of the Mac on a zip disk and move them to my PC. I open them with Photoshop or Illustrator and can then save copies of them converted to jpegs, tiffs, gifs or a couple other formats that I've never heard of. So it should be possible to get them into any of those formats. As Kathryn mentioned, the one posted earlier was a jpeg. You can also see if you can work with these samples as a test:
Here is a gif
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/PROFILES.gif
here is an eps file
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/PROFILES.eps
and here is a tiff file
http://webpages.charter.net/tbradshaw/PROFILES.tif

The jpegs from drawings are pretty easy to generate, though the quality isn't quite as clean. It's fine for screen resolution work, but tends to be a bit pixelated for any non-computer viewing or printing. I'll stick a couple more at the bottom here, one that's about as high as screen resolution will do and one that's a smaller, lower-resolution image.

Play around with the various types if you want and if you can find a format you can work with we can then focus on exactly which images you need.

Attachments

• Os-Canoe copy.jpg
    Os-Canoe copy.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 385
  • RU copy.jpg
    RU copy.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 340
MacDraw

Todd: Thanks for your input on this. I love your drawings. I was a Mac Draw fan too. I used it for many illustrations in my Master's thesis years ago and in Powerpoint presentations. I really liked the ease of use.

I have looked around for a similar free drawing program. It would be nice to play with paint colors, schemes and decorations for canoes. I have played around with Google Sketchup. It is a free application. The nice thing about it is you can draw to scale, but it is tricky to use and I just haven't invested time to learn how to use it very well.

http://sketchup.google.com/

Yep, it's unfortunate that they just let MacDraw fall by the wayside. I think the last update was around 1992 or so. For the drawing that a lot of folks do (like me) it was a pretty user-friendly and not overly complicated program. It's certainly not as sophisticated as Illustrator or some of the other current ones, but it could do some nice stuff. I actually did my whole book on it. I wrote the text, did all the drawings and even did the original mock-up of the page layout all on MacDraw Pro. It drove the people at WoodenBoat nuts because authors don't usually come in and say "here it is and this is what it should, and will, look like" but I knew how I wanted it to look and I'm pretty hard-headed (no kidding). MacDraw is also pretty byte-stingy. My entire book with all the text and the layout for 265 pages, with 200 color drawings, fit on twelve, 2MB floppy disks!

It does draw to scale when needed. I use it that way for all the sailplans when I'm figuring proportions, boat balance, yardage needed, etc. but then I can also draw freehand if I want a boat from some obscure angle. The one thing that it can't do which would sometimes be helpful would be translating dimensions from one angle to another. If I want a profile, an end view and a top-view I have to draw them the same way we used to do in drafting class using reference lines. Newer programs can do that much faster.

Here are a freehand angle-view, a scaled plan from a quote and a scaled plan to finished sail. It's kind of unfortunate that our desire for bigger, fancier and faster computers makes previous models obsolete so quickly. Many of the computers that could still draw quite well and efficiently with a simple program like this went to the scrap heap years ago.

Attachments

• spinn.JPG
    spinn.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 338
  • Leg-O-Mutton.jpg
    Leg-O-Mutton.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 398
  • Chinese lug building copy.jpg
    Chinese lug building copy.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 329
Back