Clinching Iron

slk

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am sure this has been discussed to some extent else where. I am about to start the laborious task of clinching all the tacks. I have never owned one of those nice custom irons. Just used whatever I had around, but this time I am kind of working by myself and need to find an easier way. The irons I have used in the past have been those smaller auto dolly's for body work. They just don't fit the width of the rib too well. I was just wondering about finding an old (sad iron) in an antique shop and grinding it to the shape that is needed. They made all sizes of them. Anyone ever try this???

Steve

There are a wide variety of shapes available. Not sure why you would need to to alter one.
I doubt you could fashion a shape that works for all of the available angels and compound curves.

Work on your technique. Find the sweet spot for each combination angle and curve.

And on the other end of the tack, it helps to strike it straight on, with the right force.
I find it can help to use a mushroom-shaped head, like a cobbler's hammer.

And if you leave hammer blooms, they will often pop out by liberal wetting when the clinching is finished, before sanding the planking.

Attachments

• clinching irons.jpg
    clinching irons.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 500
  • mushroom hammers.jpg
    mushroom hammers.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 506
  • clinching irons 2.jpg
    clinching irons 2.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 1,304
Ok I just discovered I had a square headed auto body hammer with a mushroomed head. It is a 10 oz hammer. It should work ok. I was just trying to be creative with the clinching iron. I know the ones like Rollin sells are the cream of the crop, and probably well worth the money in the long run.If I could find a good used real one for canoes I would buy it and be done. I just get stubborn sometimes and want to make something to work with. I bet someone with a cad machine could mill out a nice stainless steel one. But back to the (sad irons) of yesteryear I am thinking a person could grind down one to a good useable shape.

Steve

Back