Chopstick canoe

C'mon. If you built a canoe out of chopsticks you'd only want to build a second one an hour later. :rolleyes:

Neat bit of recycling but not necessarily too hygenic.

I wonder what the weight was? What kind of wood do they make those disposable chopsticks out of, anyway?

It actually turned out pretty good! It seems like it was built primarily as a statement about wood use.

The text claims a weight of about 30 kg.

I love it
agree.gif

Really gets me thinking.

I'll be the negitive guy, what a waste of time.

"An experienced canoe builder, Ogawara spent over 3 months gluing 7,382 chopsticks together into strips to form the canoe shell, to which he added a polyester resin coat. The canoe weighs about 30 kilograms (66 lbs),

I thought I saw the length someplace, but it's very heavy, no mention of using any glass for strength(maybe yes, maybe no) and using polyester instead of epoxy.

He likely has junk for his efforts.

Dan

interesting

I took a look. It's 13 ft long. Does seem a bit heavy doesn't it? He is said to be an experienced canoe builder and looks like a wood kayak in the background. I'd have to guess, being involved in forestry, the guy wanted to show that it could be done. It said something about his concern for disposable chop sticks being a waste. It looks good.

Maybe if we all sent him our leftover popsickle sticks----

ok

so, that's been done already. What are Starbucks stir sticks made of? And pediatricians have all those tongue depressors laying around, right? I applaud efforts to bring to awareness our need to recycle and conserve. But its not as if wood doesn't grow on trees.

Back