Chestnut Chum?

Gary

Canoe Grampa
Hi I've recently acquired a 15' Chestnut cedar canvas canoe, post 1950's I believe, could be a Chum but I know there we're other models built around then in that length? There is a number on the stem looks like 012101? Anyone help me with the history of this canoe?
Thanks, Gary

Gary,
Unfortunately there aren't any records of serial numbers correlating to build dates etc. for Chestnut as per some other firms. So finding the history of a specific canoe without original owner or documentation is very tricky.
That combined with fact that Peterboroughs and Canadian Canoes were all built on same lines as Chestnuts makes identifying canoes tricky at times.

If you provide measurements and photos of your acquisition that will be a great assist.

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I thought that was the case with Chestnut canoes but on the off chance the serial number could be traced I included it. Currently the canoe is hanging in the rafters of my shop, I'll get it down and post a few pictures and do some measurements.

Cheers, Gary

Hi folks here it is, any info on what model of Chestnut would be appreciated. It's 14' long, open gunnels, fairly wide planking, tapered rib ends, nice tumblehome, and a beam of 35". Here are a few pictures, one showing where the Chestnut decal on the deck was, another showing her lines, and broken gunwales, and a side shot with a 15' Lakefield I just picked up and an unknown canoe also needing restoration.
Thanks, Gary

Attachments

• DSCN2528.JPG
    DSCN2528.JPG
    131.2 KB · Views: 517
  • DSCN2533.JPG
    DSCN2533.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 553
  • DSCN2529.JPG
    DSCN2529.JPG
    268 KB · Views: 533
  • DSCN2557.JPG
    DSCN2557.JPG
    319.1 KB · Views: 540
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the additional info- 14 foot not 15?
Can you measure the width and thickness of the planking? how about the spacing between planks? And finally depth at centre of canoe?
That'll assist in identifying the model- maybe:)

And do give more pictures of your Lakefield- I have a 15foot Richardson in long term repair and restoration. The lapped planking is a pain to work with after 50 years of varnish...

Bruce

Hi Bruce,
probably closer to 15' than 14' but in between, planks are 3" wide and 1/8" thick, tight spacing woohoo, last one had big gaps, and depth at centre is 13"
Here is another shot of the Lakefield it was built in the late 1960's so distributed by RILCO Industries Limited, serial number 4032.

Attachments

• DSCN2556.JPG
    DSCN2556.JPG
    252.5 KB · Views: 346
Ok.

My Richardson is a 1967 ish Aquacraft Tripper 64, from RILCO Industries in Lakefield. S/N 1438.

On your Chestnut- what is the RIB width and thickness? How about RIB spacing? ( though I wrote planking earlier I was thinking Ribs...)

Bruce

Ribs are 2 & 1/4" wide at their widest, tapered to 1 & 1/2" at the inwales and they are 1 & 1/2" apart more or less as it's not exactly the same for each but within an 1/8th"

Hmmm
How about thickness of ribs?
The measurements are leaning towards a Bobs rather than Chum but that width is weird....

Andre?
Fitz?

Chums usually have ribs that are 3/8"x 1-1/2, but I think they built them with standard ribs as well.

Could be a 15 foot Prospector (Ranger)? - 35 inch beam, 13-1/2 inches deep, 70 lbs. Bow and stern cane seats, Ribs 3/8's x 2-3/8" spaced 2 inches apart.

Back