Chestnut 46-55407

Done!

We are calling this one Done. It is a 1964 vintage Ogilvy 16 foot "Henry", model. It was sold here locally in Concord at an outdoors store in the 1960's. The family used it for many years, then the kids went to college and it ended up shingled and rotting on a lawn.

I realized I wouldn't get around to fixing it anytime soon, so I sold this canoe to WCHA Member Lou Mutschler. It was a total wreck. He was a psychiatrist at Emerson Hospital for many years and a wooden canoe nut. He wanted to build reproductions of this canoe (a Chestnut Ogilvy "Henry") in his retirement. He was looking for a stable canoe to tote grandkids in. I told him that before he spent time and money on building a form, maybe he should restore this one and see if he really liked it. Well, he retired from Emerson and shortly thereafter found out that he had advanced prostate cancer. He never got around to it. He died just about this time last year.

His family asked me if I wanted the derelict hull back. I really didn't have a use for it, but I suggested that maybe the Norumbega Chapter could make the restoration a team effort and we could auction it off at the Annual Assembly in July to benefit the mother organization. Record numbers of Norumbegas assisted in the canvassing and filling. So now it is ready for the Assembly Auction.

I'm not sure what "See you in the trees", really means, (I Googled it and can't find a significant quote and family members can't cite a source either), but he signed off on emails during his illness that way, and it could be applied multiple ways to canoeing. So, it ended up on the canoe today.:)

Attachments

• CompletedBowEdit.jpg
    CompletedBowEdit.jpg
    467.6 KB · Views: 386
  • Completed2Edit.jpg
    Completed2Edit.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 375
  • CompletedEdit.jpg
    CompletedEdit.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 394
  • SignPainterEdit.jpg
    SignPainterEdit.jpg