Cedar Rib on the Norfolk Broads.

samb

LOVES Wooden Canoes
You don't see many Cedar Ribs in the UK.

DSC_1187.JPG

DSC_1190.JPG

DSC_1189.JPG

IMG-20220514-WA0005.jpg

IMG-20220514-WA0001.jpg

Last October, Nick challenged me to make a cedar rib. I finished it in December, but this is the first time it's been out.
1:8 Scale
Sam

Oh, you had me fooled until the last picture! I hadn't even noticed the scale of the surroundings, I was so focused on the construction method. Impressive work. Thanks for posting.

Very nice work indeed Sam. Yes, certainly not overly many Cedar Rib style canoes in the UK, though not entirely unknown. However, you likely now have the ONLY ONE of display sample size, and that being by your own hand and doing. Because I collect such things, and have known for some time of Col. Rogers' efforts to market his Ontario Canoe Co. products there, I also have made several inquiries to try to find evidence of any samples having been shipped there. I have come up with none. Indeed, only one such 'Patent Rib' sample by OCC seems ever to have surfaced here in Canada. I came by ownership of it a few years back in an auction in Western Canada, where it had migrated from Montreal many years before. It, along with the only known wide-board and batten display sample by OCC are pictured in my recently released book "Little things that matter" - see post in this section and in "Books. etc.". Both the original OCC samples were made circa 1883; each is 50" in length. I have attached some photos of the Cedar Rib as patented by John Stephenson, 1879, herewith. Congratulations on your build.

Attachments

• OCC.jpg
    OCC.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 141
  • OCC1.jpg
    OCC1.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 139
  • OCC3.jpg
    OCC3.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 141
  • OCC4.jpg
    OCC4.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 140
  • OCC7.jpg
    OCC7.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 139
  • OCC5.jpg
    OCC5.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
Thanks Patrick and Roger.
I think if I'd built mine at 5 feet long, it would have to live out in my workshop rather than in the house.
DSC_1209.JPG

They are 22" long, built over the same mold, and all are built with the proper technique (except the use of glue for nails) as far as I could; i.e. the Board and batten was built keelson and ribs first, the strip canoe with keelson and ribs and the rib has an awful lot of individual ribs. A few shortcuts were taken, so I cheated on the keelsons - rather than notching them for ribs, I laminated bits on, and despite all the ribs on the rib boat being separate pieces of wood, some cheating has happened in order to join them.

Sam

Good to see that there are others out there doing silly things!
Many years ago I made a cedar rib model and a few other all-wood variations for fun. I don't have other pics on hand of it except this, which was the result of me thinking one year that maybe the wcha needed a halloween theme for the calendar...alas, it would seem that I was the only one who thought this a good idea; but now I finally have a reason to post the pic. :)
smDSC_3012 copy.jpg

Good to see that there are others out there doing silly things!
Many years ago I made a cedar rib model and a few other all-wood variations for fun. I don't have other pics on hand of it except this, which was the result of me thinking one year that maybe the wcha needed a halloween theme for the calendar...alas, it would seem that I was the only one who thought this a good idea; but now I finally have a reason to post the pic. :)
View attachment 51090

Excellent - yours even got thwart tags. I like the way the skellys are looking at the camera! Mine just get to be paddled by an artists model.

Sam

Back