Canvassing equipment

tnyankee

LOVES Wooden Canoes
My dad and I are preparing to try our first canvassing job. Could someone post some photos of the materials we need to get started. We have the canvas, tacks and bedding compound, but would love to see photos of items that need to be fabricated to get the job done right.

Thanks in advance!

Adam

canvassing

Clamps come in handy along with a come a long.
also,
I use stainless steel staples instead of tacks.
a canvas pulling plier or tool to pull the canvas tight at the shear.
small hammer
putty knife

It is possible to do all the stretching by hand, but may as well use the clamps, etc.

Attachments

• 101_2330.jpg
    101_2330.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 572
oh, and sawhorses to do it upside down. Taller is better.
weights or braces if right side up. I do upside down as shown.

Back issues of our journal Wooden Canoe have articles, with pictures, on canvassing. A 2-part article on canvassing with the canoe upside down appears in issues ## 76-77; an article on canvasing with the canoe right side up appears in issue #74. Back issues can be obtained through the online store.

Greg

Thank you guys. I will look in the issues...I think I have them. Would love any additional photos of a set up.

Canvassing Upside Down

I like the upside down method because I usually end up canvassing outdoors, and I find it easier than weighting down the hull etc. Here are some photos of canvassing a Prospector that I shot for folks at the WoodenBoat forum that were interested. The photos were easily accessible on the hard drive so I will post them here. The first one is of my helper at the time.

One thing that is not shown here is the use of "clothes pins". I typically use them to hold the canvas next to the hull at the ends of the canoe.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Fitz

Attachments

• Helper.jpg
    Helper.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 591
  • Clamp1.jpg
    Clamp1.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 617
  • Clamp2.jpg
    Clamp2.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 612
  • CanvasTackingLocation.jpg
    CanvasTackingLocation.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 610
  • FirstFlap.jpg
    FirstFlap.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 640
  • CanvasOn2.jpg
    CanvasOn2.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 612
Clothes Pin

Here is a shot of clothes pins - just a couple of 2x4's or similar clamped together and sandwiching the canvas.

Attachments

• Clothes Pin.jpg
    Clothes Pin.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 567
Thanks Fitz. Those are very helpful photos. We are putting the canvas on the canoe on the 22nd. I'll post up some photos. I really appreciate all of your tips and help.

Adam

Back