Canoe Storage Container

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
I mentioned my reconfigured container for canoe storage in a prior post and at least one person wanted to see it, so here are a few pics.

The container is your typical 53 feet long, 8' wide and 8.5' tall. You will notice 3 sets of racks on each side and just enough room to roll the canoe on its side and then out down the isle.

You can get everything at Menards. The channel bolts to the side and the arms have been modified to add the wood extension. The arms are 22" long and rated for 300 lbs. We add a wood "T" to extend them to 34". You can remove the arms or change their position.

A big thanks goes to Peter M. for helping put this together.

Paul

Please ignore the two hydros in the third pic

Attachments

• 100_4853.jpg
    100_4853.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 402
  • 100_4855.jpg
    100_4855.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_4856.jpg
    100_4856.jpg
    501.7 KB · Views: 377
Great idea... looks fabulous. Would permit acquiring an unlimited number of canoes, providing the acreage existed for multiple containers. An intriguing thought...

Thanks Paul,

I learned something today, I had only knew of ISO containers in 20 and 40 ft lengths, I didn't know of the longer lengths, till today.
That's why I wanted to see your racks. I was wondering how you got 6 canoes in each verticle "set", of roughly 8 ft.

If a person had the room, these would make a great storage method, well sealed and realitively cheap.

The company I worked at often used these for containing test and test maintanence equipment. Again, they are cheap and well sealed, once "loaded" at the factory, they are easily transported to site and ready to support testing.

Dan

So many canoes to store

Great idea... looks fabulous. Would permit acquiring an unlimited number of canoes, providing the acreage existed for multiple containers. An intriguing thought...

Now I know what those are filled with. :D

Attachments

• So many canoes.JPG
    So many canoes.JPG
    101.1 KB · Views: 267
Container canoe storage

WOW,

Talk about a timely topic and thread!! Thanx Paul.

I have been given a 48' all stainless trailer that will be delivered mid December (after NJ deer season). This gift was a gratuity for my finding and delivering a Northwoods 17' Morris repro. canoe on a trailex tailer for a friend who owns a trucking company. My plans were to make the identical use of it as Paul has with his shipping container - get the canoe fleet all under one roof and easy to access. Right now canoes are all over the place, several are in te loft over the shop and a bear to get up and down .

Ahhhh the town assessors are going to be chargrined that they cannot tax it being a mobile, non permanent structure!! :D I luv it when you can tuck it to 'em for a change!! Usually it's the other way around. Will have to paint the trailer tho to camoflage it some to keep momma happy.

Ed

Here is a pic of how the canoe locker is positioned nicely between my fence and workshop. The workshop is 80' long with the "locker" set back about 25' from the front of the workshop.

Most people who stop by don't even see it and my neighbor lives up the hill to the left on 40 acres and can't see it either. The guy that delivered it was a very good driver.

I must again credit Peter for the Menards hardware suggestion.

Well now to get ready for the snow coming to Chicago.

Paul

Attachments

• boats 9-30-09 033.jpg
    boats 9-30-09 033.jpg
    555.4 KB · Views: 342
Ed and Paul,
As I was reading your posts it came to mind that too much heat has a detrimental affect on canoes. It might be worth considering putting some sort of vent system in those really neat storage units. Just a thought.
Best, Denis

Denis,

Thanx for words of caution. Good point. This is precisely why I have wanted to get the several canoes I have stored in the loft over the shop out of there. I have to leave the gable end doors open in the summer to dissipate the heat build up. The 48 footer I've been given is a refridgeration trailer that has heavily insulated walls. The diesel engine and refridgeration unit has been removed and I will have to board up the hole so that will afford the opportunity to install an exhaust fan high and a louver low for good air circulation. I'll be running electricity to the unit so the power will be there for the fan. All my wall brackets will be made of wood. Having a protable sawmill makes it a no brainer as to what material is least expensive for me!.:D:D

At assembly next summer I look forward to meeting you and Kathy and comparing notes with you on our mutual Fish and Wildlife Service experiences.

Ed

Ed , yes I would enjoy that.
I hope that this winter I will be able to fabricate two cupolas for my barn. Even though it has a ridge vent and a window on the North gable it still gets hot up there. So I plan to make cupolas that are 2'x2' with vent louvers on two side and windows on the other two. That will give me better venting and natural light. :D When it gets really hot I open the big loading door in the South gable.
Denis

Back