Canoe Journal Index on website

Murat V

LOVES Wooden Canoes
Hello all. As a new member, I've really enjoyed the few editions of Wooden Canoe Journal I've received so far.

I'm interested in ordering some hard copy back issues especially those that feature articles on bark canoes and paddle making. I was wondering if there is a sort of online page with the topics of each journal so that I could narrow down my selection.

The Che-Mun journal of Wilderness Canoeing has a page like this which lists some of the contents of each journal dating back to 2002.

I've searched through the WHCA website for a similar page, but to no avail. If there isn't such a page, then maybe this could be a suggestion for the site so that the organization could benefit from more sales to the general public and generate more interest in this wonderful publication.

The short answer is no. There is not a topical index of the Journal's back issues currently available on line. There was one once but it was a manual effort and stopped with issue number 78. The bark construction and paddle making sections from that document are attached below.

Roger started to add the back issues individually in the store with each table of contents as shown at http://woodencanoe.org/catalog/prod...d=518&osCsid=355a66ebfb355b789dc68962400c86d4 for example. This effort hasn't gotten past issue number six yet since there is now a higher priority project to replace the entire store software with a better package. The plan is to eventually show the table of contents for each back issue.

The back issues of the Journal are also available on a CD from http://woodencanoe.org/catalog/prod...d=464&osCsid=355a66ebfb355b789dc68962400c86d4 which includes a full text search capability. This indicates that there are 155 issues which contain 3108 instances of bark and 5381 instances of paddle.

Let me know if this doesn't answer your question or if you would like more details. Thanks,

Benson

================================================

Construction - Bark
-------------------
Excerpts from The Canoe, Its Selection, Care, and Use, by R.E. Pinkerton, Issue 2
A Birchbark Builder in Japan, by Tom MacKenzie, Issue 21
Rick Nash, Reprieve for the Fur-trade Canoe, by M. Buss, Issue 24
Henri Vaillancourt, Birchbark Canoe Builder, by J.C. Dunlap, Issue 24
North America's First Mass Transportation System, by Michael Wawro, Issue 25
Tom MacKenzie, Eclectic Birchbark Canoe, by G. Pinkerton, Issue 25
Re-creating a Traditional Japanese Bark Canoe, by S. Kobayashi, Issue 27
William Commanch, Indian Birchbark Canoe Makers from Quebec, by David Gidmark, Issue 30
Jocko Carle, Indian Birchbark Canoe Makers from Quebec, by David Gidmark, Issue 34
Jim Jerome, Indian Birchbark Canoe Makers from Quebec, by David Gidmark, Issue 40
Edwin Tappan Adney, Chronicler of the Birchbark Canoe (part 1 of 2), by David Gidmark, Issue 43
Excerpts from The Voyage of the Ant, by J. Dina, Issue 43
Edwin Tappan Adney, Chronicler of the Birchbark Canoe (part 2 of 2), by David Gidmark, Issue 44
Portages and Poses, Musings, by Gordon D. Orr Jr., Issue 46
On the Trail of the Nor'Westers, by D. Christofferson, Issue 46
How to Build a Real Birch-Bark Canoe, Issue 48
The Birch-bark. How to Build a Real Birch-bark Canoe, Excerpt fiom Boat Building and Boating (1911), by D.C. Beard, Issue 48
Laying down the Lines for the Algonkin Hunter, by Arnie Speilbauer, Issue 50
Kanuck, Bark Canoeing in Canada (1882 reprint), Issue 55
Building a birch bark canoe at the Ste. Marie-among-the-Iroquois Canoe Festival, Issue 58
Building the mold for the Algonkin Hunter, by Arnie Spielbauer, Issue 58
The Evolution of the Wabanaki Tciman, by David Gidmark, Issue 69
Making the Birchbark Canoe, The Big Fork Method. Part I of III, by John Zeitoun, Issue 73
Making the Birchbark Canoe, The Big Fork Method. Part II of III, by John Zeitoun, Issue 74
Making the Birchbark Canoe, The Big Fork Method. Part III of III, by John Zeitoun, Issue 75

Paddles and paddling
--------------------
Solo Canoes Make a Splash, Issue 3
Perspectives on the Traveling Canoe:, Part 2 of 4, by Garrett Conover, Issue 8
Perspectives on the Traveling Canoe, Part 4 of 4, by Garrett Conover, Issue 12
Omer Stringer, Definitive Canoeist, by Kim Pressnail, Issue 25
Frederick Pratt, The story of Rice Lake canoes, by Wally Pratt, Issue 56
In Praise of the Double Paddle, by Henry (Mac) McCarthy, Issue 56
Carving a Traditional Canoe Padde, by Arnie Spielbauer, Issue 57
Double Paddles on the Delaware, by G. Stephan, Issue 58
Getting It Right, by Ned Sharples, Issue 70
The same strokes work for all-folks, Becky Mason, by Louise Dickson, Issue 71

Last edited:
Many thanks for your detailed response, Benson. Hope it wasn't an inconvenience doing all that homework for me. Appreciate all the effort the volunteers of the WCHA are doing behind the scenes.

Back