Canadian sail rigs

Treewater

Wooden Canoes are in the Blood
I just got a rib and batten wide board with sail and of course, incomplete. I was told the Canadian boat used just one lee board. So what did the cross piece look like? As well, the mast is well forward of the US boats. Purpose? No rudder is not a big deal since the paddle steers, but I have a tall sail, 8ft, not lateen. Curious how this all worked.

Hi Treewater,

I have a number of Canadian canoes and sail rigs with lee boards and they did the same thing we did. They used one or two lee boards based on the conditions. They used the same rigs with some differences. I've attached a poor picture of a wideboard set up at a show but you can't see detail of the thwart or the mast. The other picture of the mast and sail show a bit more. I'm sure you could get more detail from the pages of the Canadian Canoe builder catalogs.

Most Canadian canoes were built with a mast ring in the deck and a small metal cup for a mast step.

Some did have a mast ring in the forward thwart.

Good luck,

Paul

Attachments

• English & Canadian Canoe at BS.jpg
    English & Canadian Canoe at BS.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 730
  • HPIM1580.jpg
    HPIM1580.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 675
  • Sail pic 1.jpg
    Sail pic 1.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 675
  • sail pic3.jpg
    sail pic3.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 655
Caravels and canoes

Hi Treewater,

I have a number of Canadian canoes and sail rigs with lee boards and they did the same thing we did. They used one or two lee boards based on the conditions. They used the same rigs with some differences. I've attached a poor picture of a wideboard set up at a show but you can't see detail of the thwart or the mast. The other picture of the mast and sail show a bit more. I'm sure you could get more detail from the pages of the Canadian Canoe builder catalogs.

Most Canadian canoes were built with a mast ring in the deck and a small metal cup for a mast step.

Some did have a mast ring in the forward thwart.

Good luck,

Paul

Thank you Paul. I have what I believe are three Canadian canoes and the sail rig is interesting. One came with a sloop style sail. I happen to be in Portugal at this time and I am studying the similarity to the Portugese caravel of their 1400's explorers.

Back