Can I remove WEST epoxy to recanvas. HELP!!

WEST Epoxy softens dramatically with heat. The fastest safe way to remove it is with a heat gun and a putty knife or scraper. Sanding will just dish the hell out of the cedar and ruin the boat for sure. You could also strip the paint off, exposing the resin and just leave it out in the sun for a year or two. Epoxy is quite sensitive to U.V. and WEST will start to break down after about 200 hours of direct exposure to sunlight. When it does, it eventually turns yellow, get rubbery and much of it will crumble off without a major battle.

Hmmmm....Very interesting. I thought it was a lost cause but there are some who think it can be done. I don't think I'll end up getting it but I really hate to see a nice old canoe be ruined. Thanks to all who answered and I'll continue to check for any other opinions and suggestions. I won't even mention what the original asking price was for this canoe.....

original asking price?

Why not mention it, nothing would suprise me. I would be tempted too show the seller the responses to this "post". If you are honest and diplomatic it may get you a free canoe to work on.

It was a 1933 17' Chestnut. Asking Price: $2000 CDN. It sure looked nice! If it was possible to remove the exterior, I would have made an offer but I guess not every canoe can be 'saved'.

Back