Building A Grandlaker

Grandlaker

Builder & Restorer
A tradition to this part of Maine, Grand Lake Stream I get to spend winters building or reparing and restoring them and all summer guiding out of one.

Dale Tobey

Attachments

• HPIM0074.jpg
    HPIM0074.jpg
    496.7 KB · Views: 675
  • HPIM0075.jpg
    HPIM0075.jpg
    497.6 KB · Views: 642
  • HPIM0078.jpg
    HPIM0078.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 661
  • HPIM0081.jpg
    HPIM0081.jpg
    492.5 KB · Views: 673
  • HPIM0233.jpg
    HPIM0233.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 656
It's according to how fast you want to get there !!!!!! The one in the Picture is being powered by a 6 hp 4 stroke nisson.He loves it. I run a 9.9 on mine. If you got an old shalow small stern grand laker than I would recommend no more than 6 hp Who is making the Propane outboards ?????

Dale,

Love the grand lakers. My buddy has one which we troll WGL with. Travel to GLS at least once a year from NY to fish the stream and lake and hit Wabassus for some smallies. We stay at Pappys Point of View (you know the place! :D ) What a magnificent place! My buddy is related to Llanore. Some sort of distant cousin. I'm not sure which mold his GL came off of, but it has clear ash spray rails on the side. Myself, I'm getting ready to restore a 1931 Kennebec Kineo Special.

Kevin

Thanks Dan
Kevin You must be a friend of Clayton's ?? I know Pappy's very well I built that huge garage. The canoe above I made for a man from Keen NH that comes to Colgates every spring with it fishing. That's the other end or the beech at Pappy's
If you need any Cedar or Ash for that canoe project let me know
Dale

You might be thinking Clinton, not Clayton, and if that is the case, then yes I am. We met in college and he started bringing me to GLS during that time. That was some 17 years ago now. I know right where Colgates is. I can picture the blue and white sign on the way in. Not sure if I need any cedar or not at this point. Once I get the canvas off I will know better though. I do need to replace a few cant ribs in the ends where a squirrel or some other hungrey critter got ahold and had dinner. Thanks for the offer though.

I've already got my dates for June and will be up in GLS from the 13th through the 20th. Can't wait! Always look forward to my time spent up there. And one of these years I'll have my own Grand Laker!

New to the site. Very informative. Ive fished out of a GL for about 20 years up in the North Woods. (Eagle, Churchill,and many other lakes). I have a 20' Grand laker that fell into disrepair due to illness. Been outside under tarp for about 3 yrs. Is there anyone that refinishes the canoe. Is an amazing canoe that I want to fish out of again with my son now that Im able.

Back