Brass Bow Strip-screws Stripped On My Stripper.

Charles stone

Hey everyone. Newb here. I have a 20 year old Kedros cedar strip canoe. Last season my daughter dropped the bow while unloading from car tearing the fiberglass cloth just beneath the brass protecting strip, causing the glass to separate a bit. Trying to remove the brass guard strip to cut away and Re glass this section however fine brass screws cannot be removed without being stripped. What to do.

Another question. Just recanned a seat and was wondering, is it better to varnish the cane seat or leave as natural. Seems varnishing makes it more brittle and likely to tear.

And lastly, regarding the first problem, would it be better to cut a away the elevated glass and then just reglass up to the brass. Strip?

Pics of the break would be nice.

The screw - if you can't remove it, you could drill off the head (very carefully) to remove the bang strip. Maybe if you are lucky, you will leave a small bit to get a vise-lock on to remove.
Seat varnish - some do, some don't.

Like to see the failed glass before offering an opinion.

Dan

You may (may) be able to hold a hot soldering iron to the screw head, heating up the screw and softening the adhesive is holding the screw in place, then try to turn it with a screwdriver. Try to avoid scorching anything, and be gentle but firm when trying to turn it. And it may not work at all, leaving you with a headless screw. Good luck!

Heating with a soldering iron is good, if you still have enough head to get a hold of.
If not, I have used a specialty hollow drill bit, that drills around the screw.
A tip, don't drill very deep ! Just enough to clamp a vise grip on the screw.

The hole can be easily filled with thickened epoxy, then redrilled for a New screw .

Good Luck !

Jim

heating is helpful. I have also used an impact driver 12v If there is anything left of the screw head I have found the impact driver to be extraordinary in backing out screws.

Back