BN Morris Restoration

HEBlumer

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Am in the process of restoring a 17' Torpedo deck BN Morris, Serial Number 16433 manufactured about 1918. It has been reported previously in these forums. I have installed new inner gunwales and am researching how to attach new top gunwales that will be required. The bits and pieces of the old top gunwales show that they were fastened with 3/4" steel finish nails which is obviously not original... there are filled holes where it appears that screws were used originally. My question is what type of screw and screw head was used originally to attach the top gunnel? From pictures of other restored Morris canoes it appears that the screw heads remain visible and are spaced maybe four to six inches apart. The top gunnel material is 1/4 inch thick Mahogany and my thought is that traditional wood screws will cause splitting and cracking. It would seem that some type of brass cap screw, such as an oval head is more appropriate. Can anyone tell me the size, type and spacing of these screws on the original Morris canoes? I am assuming the center strip of wood on the three part decks would also be attached with the same type screws. I'm aware of a previous post asking what type of screws to use on the deck coaming which turned out to be 7/8" #6 or 7 oval head slotted brass screws... does this apply to the top gunnel and center deck strip as well? Thanks. Harold

Greg.... Thank you... There were no standard screw heads visible on any of the pictures I looked at and the reason is that they aren't screws..... Am glad I asked... I'm going to have to learn how to do a better job of researching the forum for this kind of exchange.. Incidentally the word "escutcheon" aint even in my vocabulary.... am going to have to consult a dictionary as well...

Harold

Harold --

An escutcheon is an old word for a shield -- both the shields of knights of old, and the little shields than surround key holes on a desk or chest drawer or the plate behind a door knob or light switch. The escutcheons on furniture, usually brass, could best he held on by small thin pins of brass, rather than screws or nails which tended to be heavier. Hence escutcheon pins, which found a different use in fastening thin cap rails on canoes.

Back