Blue, blue, my world is blue.

skarffer

skarffer
Hi. My name is Mike and I am in the process of recanvassing a 1940 Old Town Guide canoe. I want my restoration to be as accurate as possible according to the original build order. Here's my problem...
BLUE... In fact, YALE Blue. I haven't gat a clue what shade it is. Is it royal, dark, medium, sky, or light blue?
During the course my researchs, my local supplier tells me that OLD TOWN no longer makes "Yale Blue" and I cannot find a picture or refference that I can use as a guide.
HELP !!!! What sahde of blue is YALE BLUE?
Thx, Mike

Attachments

• COLOR-WC.JPG
    COLOR-WC.JPG
    152.9 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:
Yale Blue was a medium, maybe slightly smoky blue. Old town also had both a dark (navy-like) blue and a light (powder) blue with Yale Blue falling between them. I suppose it's crazy to try to post color swatches over the web, since my monitor, your monitor and the Internet are probably all calibrated differently. As I remember though (been a while since I saw a Yale Blue canoe) it's something similar to the upper portion of the sky in the attached photo (a lovely Lake Superior morning, by the way). Of course, your results may vary. There's also a good chance that George Kirby at the Kirby Paint Company has mixed some for somebody along the way and he may already have a good formula for it (as well as the best quality paint and outstanding customer service).

Attachments

• superior trip 015.jpg
    superior trip 015.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 614
According to http://flagspot.net/flags/us-ct-yu.html#colors, "Yale University's website has a page on the history of the university color, www.yale.edu, which says the Pantone equivalent is currently PMS 289. Other websites variously call PMS 285 or 286 "Yale blue." The law specifies it as Standard Color Card Cable No. 70086. In any case, the Yale page makes clear that it is a very dark blue." FWIW.

Attached is another manufacturers example of Yale Blue (Todd's comments on monitor color representation are valid).

Attachments

• page-08.gif
    page-08.gif
    243.3 KB · Views: 633
All the assistance I can get is appreciated. My canoe came as YALE blue when originally constructed. But as you can guess, I have difficulty with the differences described. Yes, I HAVEeen to the YALE website and found Yale blue to be extremely dark... but it doesn't jibe with the describtion of 'medium' blue (per Benson Gray) or with Todd's description of the dark blue sky depictd at the top of the pic which he posted. NOt withstanding, I do understand the color moniter variances and, from experience, I know my prints out of the color will be different than my moniter.

On a side note... Dan Miller... Do I know you? I assume you are on route 4 over by Washington Avenue or in that general area. I hail from South Colonie and have spent many a good years past in the greenbush area... Actually lived in E.Greenbush for a few years.

Another example from a catalog from 1969 or 70. Same problems possible as far as nailing down the exact shade, but the lightness/darkness value seems pretty close to what I remember.

Attachments

• design #45.JPG
    design #45.JPG
    433.2 KB · Views: 617
On a side note... Dan Miller... Do I know you? I assume you are on route 4 over by Washington Avenue or in that general area.

You might... :) I'm just off Route 43 between Defreestville and West Sand Lake. Feel free to stop by sometime if you are over this way.

Cheers,
Dan

I think I have a copy of the George Kirby paint chips (actual chips, hand cut!) and I agree with Todd's assessment of the company's quality and service. A call to George IV and he might be able to stear you toward a color matching OT's Yale Blue.

Let me know if you want to see the chips.

Thanks for all the help witht his color thing. Todd, your latest thumbnil seems to me to be the most reasonable color match yet.

Mike Cavanuagh...Those paint chips would be a valuable asset and I would surly love to see the colors up front and persoanl, but in all honesty, I couldn't ask you to part with them even for a little while. A decent photograph would probably work tho using ASA 200 portrait film... ( Then I could just keep it.

Thanks again for all the help.

Dan:.... I would love to come by the shop. I am a jack of all trades and a professional home builder.....( I am no stranger to wood or unusual projects). Do you have saturday hours?

I recieve the big DUH ! of the day award.... MIke, You live in Voorheesville....
you don't have to part with paint chips.... I can just meet you nearly any place... and Thanks again for the offer... I think I would like to take you up on it.

Back