Backrest

Jim Dodd

LOVES Wooden Canoes
As I grow older, I find spending more than an hour in a canoe seat more difficult.
I came up with this backrest/portage yoke for my Solo canoes.
Mostly I float gentle rivers, and this time of year (Fall), I'm really taking in the colors
Here's some pics of the rest/ portage yoke I developed
IMG_0173_zpsowsnpx2t.jpg
Yoke in the lowered position.
IMG_0172_zpsuxe2sgau.jpg
Yoke in the portage position, the straps hold it in place.
IMG_0174_zpseup4ab7y.jpg
Yoke in the backrest position.
I use my Nate stick along with the backrest for some pretty comfortable floating.
IMG_0193_zpsmn12dthe.jpg

My hope is to share this with others that might want, or need more comfort while paddling their canoe.

Jim

Thanks, Jim. We're all getting older, and can appreciate ways to prolong our love of canoeing.
What is a "Nate stick"?

Rob

It's hell getting older, we just have to adapt !

The Nate Stick. Years ago in the BWCA, My youngest complained of back pain. He asked if we could paddle over by a beaver house. We did, and he selected a stick that spanned the gunnels of the bow seat, where he was sitting. He laid the stick under his thigh, on top of the gunnels. He said Dad ! Try this. He said, I can't believe the relief I'm getting. Well doubtful. I tried it and I too was amazed at the relief from sitting for a long period of time.
Since then I've made several of these from scrap wood. Contoured them to be more comfortable than a Beaver stick.
So I named them the Nate Stick, after my son. I don't have a lot of pics, but here some.
IMG_0505_zpseqgvyb6p.jpg
IMG_0507_zpsvysojvkt.jpg
IMG_1118_zps1repx9bf.jpg

Others have said they don't like it, and that's OK. An easy way to test this idea, is to just lay a spare paddle under your legs, and see if it works for you ! Cost nothing to try !

Jim

Back