Another Mystery Canoe

mn2016

A friend of mine inherited a wooden canoe she would like me to try to sell for her.
There are no marking of any kind on this canoe.

Dimensions
Length 13'
Beam 38"
Depth 12"

I am hoping to determine an estimate of value based on the photos.
There is some damage near the stern deck, best viewed in image C08a.jpg
Also looking for an estimate of what it might cost to repair.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Attachments

• C01a.jpg
    C01a.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 509
  • C02a.jpg
    C02a.jpg
    197.7 KB · Views: 510
  • C03a.jpg
    C03a.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 510
  • C04a.jpg
    C04a.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 502
  • C05a.jpg
    C05a.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 496
  • C06a.jpg
    C06a.jpg
    155 KB · Views: 492
More Photos

More photos attached.

Attachments

• C12a.jpg
    C12a.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 479
  • C11a.jpg
    C11a.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 500
  • C10a.jpg
    C10a.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 479
  • C09a.jpg
    C09a.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 499
  • C08a.jpg
    C08a.jpg
    155.6 KB · Views: 499
  • C07a.jpg
    C07a.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 498
More photos

That's it for photos. Any help would be appreciated very much. Thanks.

Attachments

• C13a.jpg
    C13a.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 453
It is exceptionally difficult to estimate the value of a canoe or the cost to repair it from photographs. The value of a restored wooden canoe like this is usually less that the price of a professional restoration. This one appears to have been modified or repaired at least once before. I don't recognize the builder. The information at http://forums.wcha.org/showthread.php?57 may help you value it and the estimates at http://www.smallboat-shop.com/Restoration Process.pdf may give you some idea of what might be required to repair it. An advertisement at http://wcha.org/pp-classifieds/ is probably the easiest way to find a good new home for this canoe. Good luck with the sale,

Benson

Thank you

Thank you Benson. Your response and suggested links have been very helpful. The search continues. I just may end up purchasing it myself. Have a great day.

Do need/want a short, wide canoe?
If you do, it might be worth a couple hundred, if you don't, it's worth less.

Dan

If what I see is what I think it is (C08.jpg) the biggest problem with the boat is that it appears to have come under siege from anobiid beetles (wood-borers) at some point. That could be a really serious issue depending upon how much damage they have done and whether or not they are still active in the boat. If there is fresh dust present do not bring that thing indoors! It is possible to treat them if they are still present but the extent of damage done will affect the value of the boat. I would try to get a good look at the stem to see if it also shows borer exit holes.

The rot on the rails appears to be fairly contained and a relatively easy repair, at least as depicted in the pictures. As Benson notes, repair estimates without the boat physically present are impossible so there may be other hidden issues lurking. At a minimum you are looking at repairing the rails (splicing in new pieces) and re-canvassing. Re-varnishing, repairing/replacing the seats should also be done and will add time and cost.

It is a stumpy little boat but these little canoes are actually nice to use for hunting small creeks or hauling decoys in and out of swamps etc.

Helps to know where its located. Looks like a Northland from Huntsville Ontario, and they were usually fiberglassed like that.
hard to say for sure though, could be built by any number of people. Maw used that seat hole pattern, like Rilco and some others.

Back