Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Affordable shipping of materials

Discussion in 'Tips and Tricks' started by John Maderic, Feb 26, 2014.

1. John Maderic

John Maderic Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes

With all the posts Ive read a good number include getting the needed wood, materials, etc. from out of the buyers local area. Some of my past non-canoe related experiances of finding the item I was looking for far away, but due to size or weight, reasonable and sometimes great deals on the item were just too expensive with shipping. I was unaware that Greyhound bus lines does shipping, and my experience was very reasonable, prompt service. A 'friend' wrecked my Toyota Tacoma, and I wont get into the details here , but I was left responsible for a large amount of damage. I live in NY and as my luck goes; where does my search for used body panels lead me; of course: California. Nice new body panels being removed for racing/ dune riding. How aggravating finding truck doors like new for $200, when the savage yards here want 7-900 and the most popular shippers wanted so much it still wasn't worth the savings. By using Greyhound, I had two doors shipped by one seller, a whole front bumper assembly from another, and even the whole side of a truck box from another. That was over 7 ft long and wide. Greyhound was less than half what I was quoted each time by the well known shippers. All three times the items arrived in excellent shape also. Another shipper I had no clue about Previously is Fastenal. Im not sure what lengths they will ship, but weight wise, they were a life saver. A whole truck motor on a pallet from California to their facility in NY, Less than $300. Roadway was @ 900. FedEx and UPS both offered a couple different shipping options, all ranging from $2000 to $3000. Im just hoping to possibly help someone some cost on shipping.

2. JClearwater

JClearwater Wooden Canoes are in the Blood

I had to ship an odd shaped box to Georgia so I went to the Post Office near my office where the guy measured it up and quoted me a price which I thought was way too much. So I went to UPS who quoted me even more. So I went back to the Post Office but this time to an office near home where that guy measured it up and quoted me a price half what the first guy said. Go figure - and we wonder why the postal system is going broke.

John, thanks for the tip on Fastenal.

Jim