4th/3rd Lakes-Machias River, Downeast Maine

robin

LOVES Wooden Canoes
I spent 5 days exploring the 4th and 3rd lakes which are part of the Machias River in eastern Maine. I put in at the 4th and paddled down the eastern side of the lake to a beach campsite I read about in the AMC's guide for lakes in Maine.

Some folks dislike beach campsites and that sand can be a problem, but this was such a nice location I just kept a clean site and enjoyed the view out front

4th lake has about 8 camps spread out along the 4 mile length, but they are set back and the shoreline is kept natural so it's a pleasant compromise of development and wilderness.

The fishing was not very good, until I got in sight of my truck at the put in on the way out of the lake. I caught a nice small mouth and pickerel with in a 100 feet after trolling for two days without an luck.
The moose sighting more than made up for it though. I saw 9 moose the 2 and 1/2 days I spent at 4th.
Here's a cow with a calf hidden out of view

and a couple of yearlings I found in a back meadow I was exploring

After 2 and 1/2 days at 4th, I left there and drove down to 3rd. Time restraints prevented me from doing a longer trip via the river. I had a tail wind going into 3rd and made it to a nice sight at a narrows between the upper and lower half of the lake.
Heres a campfire dinner there, not sure what the history is on the bench, but it worked.

Here's the view out front of the sight

As luck would have it, a strong north wind came up and prevented a trip up to the north end of the lake. I was restricted to small sheltered coves the next two days and managed to find some fish and nice paddling

After 5 days it was time to pack up and head home, here's one last shot before the trip out

I spent some time paddling and camping in that area with my young family years ago Robin.

I always enjoy your tripping reports. Thanks for posting.

Matt

Robin You where in my back yard and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I have for the last 55 years !!!!!! Where you parked your vehicle at 4th is my brothers camp. One of the first camp's built on 4th back in 1920 by my grandfather. The only way there then and until 1964 was a 3 mile carry from Sysladobsis lake ( the pines ) When the road came in my grandfather couldn't stand it and went up lake to the outlet of 5th lake stream and built a new camp away from roads. That camp is also still in the family I spend allot of time there. There a camp at the end of unnown stream That's owned by a cousin. The camp site you where at on 3rd lake is called Kenny's lunch ground. It's a guides site for us to cook for our fishing clients. The campers have taken it over though. If you ever have the time its A great trip starting at 5th and going all the way to first. It can be hard on a canvas though.

Back