17 Year Old Canoe

enggass

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hi there,
I just picked up a 17 year old wood/canvas canoe. Seems like the would may be a bit dry. I've noticed if I apply some pressure to the planking between the ribs I here a slight cracking sound although the wood itself does not appear to crack. - Is there anything I can do for it to revitalize it? Give it a boost of life? Besides get it in the water ;-) Maybe it is just the feel of the varnish - Built in 1995.

5I45O05E93Ea3F93L9c9601c37bf89cf413b7.jpg

Last edited:
I can't speak to the cracking and creaking, but I'm sure she just needs to get back in to the water and get some use.

The older I get, the more cracking and creaking I hear also. I just ignore it...... :D

Nice looking canoe. Have you had it on the water yet?

Kory

I'm with Kory-- get 'er into the water and see how she does! Looks beautiful. Are you near any open water? The snow's still flying (literally) where I am!

Kathy

Some creaking and cracking sounds are not unusual with a wood/canvas canoe, especially one that has not been in the water for a while.

Ice out should be fairly early this year on many Maine lakes -- Sebec Lake near Dover-Foxcroft was open on April 8 last year, and I would guess that this year will be similar or earlier.

So it won't be too long before you can get that canoe wet -- though it may take a few days of being in the water with some splashing inside the canoe before creaking lessens.

Greg

Back