What to do with an old paddle?

monkitoucher

Canoe Curious
I ended up getting this paddle in a package deal when I bought my OTCA. It's a pretty little thing. Nice patina. Good feel in the hand. Pretty lite.

IMG_0332.jpg
IMG_0333.jpg

What should I do with it? Should I use it? Structurally, it's sound. It could use a bit of varnish to protect it from water or being knocked about.

I've used it as a pattern for a couple of basswood paddles that I made for my friend and his wife.

IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg

From my experience, if you lean it in a corner in your garage it will multiply and one will become 10 and 10 will become 30. Several will find their way into your house and take their place next to old guide boat oars and duck decoys.
Yours has already become 3 ...30 is not too far behind.

From my experience, if you lean it in a corner in your garage it will multiply . . .

Any corner in your house or basement will do -- at least 3 paddles have joined this group since this picture was taken a while back.

20141210_114940 cr s.jpg
20141210_114940 cr s.jpg

Okay, it's time for me to get rid of the teevy & teevy stand (hasn't been turned on in months anyway) and put a paddle stand in the family room... Hanging them in piles in the garage just won't do any more...

I would use it. Repair the handle with some epoxy mixed with saw dust.
Try some finish restorer like Formbys, which will clean up the old varnish without removing all of it.
A nice lake paddle.

Back