Hubbard Expedition

I had watched this video several weeks ago, and having been up there, enjoyed it a lot. The scenery and videography is first rate. My comments to a wilderness paddling friend were that these two guys greatly underestimated the difficulties of upriver traveling in Labrador, and they had mostly good weather. The flow in the Naskaupi today is only a fraction of what it would have been in 1905 because most of the water has been diverted into the Churchill Falls hydro project. They turned around before they got to the tough part: there are three gorges on the Naskaupi to portage around with no trails. And high in the drainage when they ran out of water would have been another difficult portage to get up to Smallwood reservoir. Though these guys 'stressed' their period equipment, including the Atkinson Traveler with half-ribs, which Rollin built for them, nowhere did they evaluate this equipment. So watch the video, enjoy and evaluate for yourself. Tom McCoud

I watched the video and really enjoyed it. The first thought I had regarding the two guys who tried retracing the route recently was that they should have had six guys and three canoes. That way in case of serious injury or failed/broken/lost equipment they could have still gotten out. They were lucky it was only a sprained ankle. I guess they were planning on using their satellite phone to call for help if they had gotten in real trouble. It was still a noble endeavor and I applaud them for giving it a try and having enough sense to try back when they did. Thanks Fitz for posting it. JCC

This is an interesting story and I have had the pleasure to work with several people who have researched it over the years. The two images below were shared in an attempt to identify the canoes. The most interesting discovery for me was the 1905 invoice for Mina Hubbard’s purchase of two canoes from Old Town. This was found while searching through university archives, looking for material on a totally different subject. Thanks Fitz for posting,

Benson

Hubbard-canoe-1.jpg Hubbard-canoe-2.jpg Hubbard-Old Town invoice.jpg

Last edited:
Back