Help: Canoe Identification.

damnyak

Hello Folk, new to this scene, but lifetime canoeist. Long story short, about 3 years ago I was given a Cedar Canvas canoe from a very old gent who said his mother purchased it new from Langford in the 50's, who just wanted it to go to someone who would use it/restore it. Well shortly after this acquisition I started building a log home so the canoe restoration took a bit of a halt. Now that we are settled in the house I just had a moment to reach out and see what all has to be done.

Now assessing it, I have my doubts its Langford, what is left of the waterside decal is rectangular, and you can only make out "Ontario". Which is good as it limits it, however I cannot find any reference of a rectangular decal from a canoe company. Murat...whom I guessing a bunch of you know guided me here, and so it is. I am asking for help... If any of you have any clue as to its maker. The slat seats are maybe a clue, the rope tie on the deck, maybe.

I did found a post by Dave Westworth here called "Is this a Chestnut canoe?" which look similar, however the decal.

Any help would be awesome, So looking forward to this project.

Attachments

• P_20191027_165418.jpg
    P_20191027_165418.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 511
  • P_20191027_165446.jpg
    P_20191027_165446.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 517
  • P_20191027_165509.jpg
    P_20191027_165509.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 516
  • P_20191027_191230.jpg
    P_20191027_191230.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 504
  • P_20191026_135541.jpg
    P_20191026_135541.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 479
Its a Langford, before the builds got really bad, with seat hanger bars etc. Nothing like a Chestnut. Looks like it was fiberglassed. Enjoy.

Its a Langford, before the builds got really bad, with seat hanger bars etc. Nothing like a Chestnut. Looks like it was fiberglassed. Enjoy.

interesting, thank you...so this is a somewhat bad build...lol.

It is fibreglassed...but it is peeling off quite easily. And the bars being a give away? Can you explain, if you have a moment.

And have you seen this label before?

Thanks so much.

Later Langfords had seat hanger bars, and countersunk hanger bolts. The red oak deck tells you about all you need to know, and the cutout shape is theirs. Decals ive seen were triangular, but what remains of the font and colour are consistent with their logo and brand. 70s builds and up are poor, i wont work on another one.

Andre,
I'm assuming these are the hanger bars and countersunk bolts you referenced...

Any idea how to date this one? I picked it up from a now deceased friend who said he bought it in the late 60's.
Would love to know more about its providence- and why you dislike them so much.
( granted this 15 footer is heavier than my 16 foot Pal, but- while I prefer paddling the Bobs Special- this is still a decent solo and light tandem.)

Cheers!
Bruce

Langford seat hanger bolts.jpg

Later Langfords had seat hanger bars, and countersunk hanger bolts. The red oak deck tells you about all you need to know, and the cutout shape is theirs. Decals ive seen were triangular, but what remains of the font and colour are consistent with their logo and brand. 70s builds and up are poor, i wont work on another one.

Andre,

The red oak decks... is that what they...and only they used?.. again sorry for the bother, just interested. The gent I got it off said his Mother bought it in the late 40's/ early 50's. And yes it does have fiberglass on it...right over the stem bands. Like I mentioned it is coming off easy with heat, but they also did some repairs with silicone. ANd your comment "nothing like a Chestnut" ...again car to elaborate for us Wooden Canoe newbies. It would be greatly appreciated.

And Andre... I am getting a sense of sarcasm with your "Looks like it was fiberglassed. Enjoy."...;) I will try to enjoy it.. I am more looking forward to stripping the varnish inside...gah.

Dan, you wound me. Simply two mutually exclusive statements. At least i didnt advocate the usual thermal solution. That red oak burns hot, ya know....

Damnyak,

Pay no attention to the ribbing these guys are giving you. We have all bought canoes with questionable pedigree, lots of rot, broken parts and paid too much to boot. Have fun restoring it - that's what it is all about. If you have questions ask on these forums. You will get lots of advise - some of it actually useful. And don't forget, opinions are like belly buttons - everyone has one. Enjoy the rebuild. When it's done you will have a nice canoe, maybe nicer than it was when it left the factory.

Jim

Just don't let that Andre fella offer to teach you how to sail......

:eek:

Fitz my 16/30 misses you dearly. i might just rig it this sumer and track you down.

Attachments

• C968810F-D539-4C95-9C80-C815CAFA1706.jpeg
    C968810F-D539-4C95-9C80-C815CAFA1706.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 375
  • F0954F87-55D0-4306-BFF3-EAA3D13D0E93.jpeg
    F0954F87-55D0-4306-BFF3-EAA3D13D0E93.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 382
Back