Loon Works 'Nakoma'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marty Reeck

Curious about Wooden Canoes
I have a Loon Works 'Nakoma'. Built in 2010 by the great canoe craftsman, Tom MacKensie.. It has never been in the water. I have it hanging on my wall. It has a lot of extras: Satin Varnish, Curley Maple filler strip, Bird's eye decks and special caning for the seat. I hate to sell it, but we are downsizing. Is there a demand for Tom's canoes now that he is gone?

Yes... These canoes are used extensively for FreeStyle Canoeing. I'm on the FreeStyle Canoe Activity Committee, and can circulate photos & whatever information you have to the entire FS community, some 640-650 people. You can post here, or PM me, and the word will get out.

Hello Marty, we have been looking for one of Tom's canoes to use with our grand children. Our kids went to assembly and would paddle the canoes Tom brought for the kids to try. What is the length of this canoe?

Paul, the Nakoma is 13' L, 28"W, 113/4"D, and weighs 35#. It has a lot of extras: satin varnish, birds eye maple decks, curly maple filler strip, special caning seat, 'Shadow Stripe' and pettit marlin blue in color. As I said, it has never been in the water. I will send a picture. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1715.JPG
    IMG_1715.JPG
    210.5 KB · Views: 957
Debbie, hope you got my reply. If not, the Nakoma is 13' L. The other dimensions are as above. Thanks

Hi Marty - I’m interested in the Nakoma canoe. I was a student of Tom’s in Wisconsin circa 1974, and he was the ‘best man’ in my wedding there in 1981. (BTW, I attended Tom & Karen’s wedding in Big Fork, MN a few years earlier...)

Please let me know if this boat is still available. Thanks!

Joe Dorsey
dorsey.joe@gmail.com

Marty, how much are you asking for your Nakoma? If I remember Tomn had a series of canoes varying in size. Does anyone know the name of the model that was 14ft long .I keep thinking Ariel? I would be interested in that one too.

I have a Loon Works 'Nakoma'. Built in 2010 by the great canoe craftsman, Tom MacKensie.. It has never been in the water. I have it hanging on my wall. It has a lot of extras: Satin Varnish, Curley Maple filler strip, Bird's eye decks and special caning for the seat. I hate to sell it, but we are downsizing. Is there a demand for Tom's canoes now that he is gone?
Where are you located? Deb

I'm located 6&1/2 hours almost straight east of Humboldt, near the Lake Michigan shore, and will be going to Assembly. If you can get it somewhere towards me, I can take it to Assembly.

Folks, this is turning into a classified ad. I am closing the thread - please take further conversation to PM.

Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back