White Canoe serial #WHC70384M84J

Robert Werme

Called Old Town. The serial number indicates this boat was made the last month before Old Town bought White. There is no model name on it (I also own a Whitestream 14'), and it's surprising this canoe doesn't have the name stenciled on the bow. Does anyone know what this model would be called? Thanks.
Robert

The catalog collection available from http://www.wcha.org/store/historic-wood-canoe-and-boat-company-catalog-collection contains a 1978 White brochure that may allow you to identify the model from the dimensions as shown below. Good luck,

Benson

front2.jpg

Last edited:
Benson - thanks for the lead. My historical interest is fairly narrow, so before I drop $75 on your catalog (which I'm certain is worth the money), I'm going to poke around for a bit longer.

Tally Ho!
Robert

I may not have been clear that you can click on the thumbnail image of the catalog page to see a larger image that will show you the models that they offered along with the dimensions. Another option is to share the dimensions here and I will try to match them up with the ones from the catalogs. Good luck,

Benson

Ahh ... thanks for the clarification. My canoe is 17', which is right smack between the Scout 16 and the Guide 18. Perhaps they added this size between 1978 and 1984?

Your canoe shipped in May, 1984 and White's sale to Old Town was effective on October 31st, 1984. The 1985 White catalog from the collection shows two 17 foot long canoes. The fiberglass model was called the Whitecap and the ABS one was called the Wilderness.

Benson

Your canoe shipped in May, 1984 and White's sale to Old Town was effective on October 31st, 1984. The 1985 White catalog from the collection shows two 17 foot long canoes. The fiberglass model was called the Whitecap and the ABS one was called the Wilderness.

Benson

Hi, I know this thread is over three years old, but I found it while googling the White Wilderness 17'. I'm thinking about buying one off the internet and the seller doesn't know anything about it. You mentioned it's ABS -- does that mean Royalex? And anything else anybody can tell me about the canoe, experience with it, etc, would be amazing. Thanks so much, and sorry for unearthing such an old post!

The serial number of the one I'm looking at indicates it was made by Old Town in 1987, if that helps. Thanks!

You mentioned it's ABS -- does that mean Royalex?

Yes, acrylonitrile-butadiene-styrene (ABS) is the generic name for Royalex (which is Uniroyal's trade name). Old Town called their version Oltonar since it was slightly different from Royalex. I may be able to research the Old Town serial number or hull identification number if you want to share it.

Benson

Wow, thanks so much Benson! It's XTC85027A787. I spoke with somebody from Old Town today on the phone, and he had no record of it.

The information at https://www.usps.org/national/safety/HIN/HIN.pdf indicates that yours was made in August, 1987. The look and feel of ABS is distinctly different from fiberglass so you should be able to easily tell the difference when you see the canoe in person. Post some pictures if you still aren't sure, especially ones showing the hull identification numbers. The one shown below is fiberglass for example. I haven't found any records for White canoes with the WHC prefix for their hull identification number either. Sorry,

Benson

WHC64244M84J.jpg

Last edited:
Hmmm. Do you think it's possible to figure out if it's ABS rather than Polyethylene without driving down there and weighing it?

I don't think that White ever offered any Polyethylene canoes. Do you have any pictures?

Benson

And here are the other pics:

Attachments

• canoe01.jpg
    canoe01.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 247
  • canoe04.jpg
    canoe04.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 259
  • canoe03.jpg
    canoe03.jpg
    168 KB · Views: 411
  • canoe02.jpg
    canoe02.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 320
The XTC prefix on the hull identification number indicates that it is an Old Town serial number. The record for that one hasn't been scanned so I don't have any more details. The description of the White Wilderness model from a late 1980s catalog is attached below. Let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Benson

Page-7.jpg

Back