Spoon blade double paddle

DAVID EDGERLY

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
I am atempting to make a paddle such as the one Dick christie has made for the auction in years past, does any one know what kind of tool he used to spoon out the blade. I think he had told me once that he altered a certain type of spoke shave for this,I wish I could remember more of that conversation.
Dave

I am atempting to make a paddle such as the one Dick christie has made for the auction in years past, does any one know what kind of tool he used to spoon out the blade. I think he had told me once that he altered a certain type of spoke shave for this,I wish I could remember more of that conversation.
Dave

The travisher and small compass plane found here: http://www.crownplane.com/catalog.html are a good start; travishers and scorps found elsewhere would also be likely candidates.

Cliff

I just shaped a spoon blade oar and used a Lie Nielsen convex palm plane. It was a whole hell of a lot easier to control than a travisher or a scorp.

I just shaped a spoon blade oar and used a Lie Nielsen convex palm plane. It was a whole hell of a lot easier to control than a travisher or a scorp.

I forgot about that L-N squirrel tail since I have the palm sized Crown plane, and I agree that it's probably easier to use than the other tools. Travishers aren't all that bad though...

Cliff

Back