Thompson Bros CS386

Bhill

Looking for the year this was built. It has mahogany thwarts and gunwales . Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Most Thompson Canoes had no serial number. Is there Thompson name plate on the canoe? If it is indeed a Thompson, there are no records available to reference. I believe they perished in a fire or were discarded.
The CS386 looks similar to what Penn Yan canoes may have.
Photos may help.

Response to Dave

Most Thompson Canoes had no serial number. Is there Thompson name plate on the canoe? If it is indeed a Thompson, there are no records available to reference. I believe they perished in a fire or were discarded.
The CS386 looks similar to what Penn Yan canoes may have.
Photos may help.

Thanks for your quick response. It is indeed a Thompson Bros canoe as evidenced by the name plate, the metal strap under the deck, the ogee edge on the decks and the drilled hole in the bow deck, all using information from Dave Miller's wonderful website.

Can you possibly offer direction as to which way I should proceed? I sincerely appreciate your assistance.
All the best.

Maybe Andreas Rhude will chime in here. He's a Thompson Boat expert and may have some insight as to the numbers.
As I mentioned, no records exist and Thompson canoes with a serial numbers are few. I have seen a couple that have had aluminum name tags with a serial number on them. If that is what you have, I would say you would have a canoe that was built in the latter years of canoe production. If this number is stamped into the wood somewhere on the hull, it may be an asset or identification number for a particular owner..ie... CS= Camp Silverthorne asset number 386.
Again... photos may help.
Dave

Never heard of a HULL ID such as that. What company built the canoe and at what location? Please provide EXACTLY and COMPLETELY what is on the metal tag.

IF she is a Peshtigo built watercraft, possibly C 5386 ????
C = the builder's code
5 = last digit of model year (1945 or 1955)
386 = 386th watercraft of all built that model year

If she is from Cortland, the hull ID system they utilized was different than Peshtigo's and it makes no sense.
Andreas

Back