Daggerboard in Dedicated Sailing Canoe?

Good Lee Board idea

Todd: I like the shape and idea in this thread. Checked your book, but can't find this curved one. How do you attach to side and how does it swivel up? Great idea and will work in my canoe!!! Thanks. Don

Any daggerboard case needs some sort of substantial crosswise bracing, most commonly some sort of thwarts at one or both ends of the case that the case is attached to. If built off to the sides, Wahoo-style, you could probably skip the twarts and attach the case(s) to the gunwale structure.

The circular board doesn't really swivel. By design, striking a submerged object just pushes the tip of the board up and back as the board rides on the rollers inside the case, and it's free to move all the way up until the board's bottom is flush with the hull bottom if needed.

Do it yourself sailing

I am interested in pictures of whatever you do. I have a thread on my own efforts. I fully support the daggerboard idea having already hit a submerged tree stump and seeing the board pivot. I am going with a single lee board on a new smaller bracket since I found two lee boards overkill. I'm not sure if the rudder is needed either. I'll find out. This could cause a run on brass oar yokes. :)

Back