World's Most Expensive Canoe : A Cautionary Tale

Canoez

Paddle Bait
Ranger.JPG

While it may not actually be the World's most expensive canoe, it must surely be well up there in terms of cost. The truth of the matter here at my blog.

A few years ago, Gundog magazine had a similar exposition of purchasing a good hunting dog, and then paying for all the subsequent trappings, including a nice 4x4 pick-up truck! Personally, relative to my three canoes and two rowboats, I have been wondering if I should build a separate building for them, which could later serve as a large garden shed after my death--OR--should we replace our two car garage with a three car garage.

By the way, my first canoe which I repaired, I obtained for free from a neighbor who was throwing it out.

B-O-A-T= Bring On Another Thousand.

Mark Douglass

A few years ago, Gundog magazine had a similar exposition of purchasing a good hunting dog, and then paying for all the subsequent trappings, including a nice 4x4 pick-up truck! Personally, relative to my three canoes and two rowboats, I have been wondering if I should build a separate building for them, which could later serve as a large garden shed after my death--OR--should we replace our two car garage with a three car garage.

By the way, my first canoe which I repaired, I obtained for free from a neighbor who was throwing it out.

As for the financial demands of our love of wooden canoes and boats, always remember B-O-A-T= Bring On Another Thousand.

Mark Douglass

Funny I once wrote about this subject on my blog, http://reflectionsoutdoors.wordpres...oving-that-the-worth-of-a-canoe-is-priceless/. Here is some of what I found out:

From http://www.fh2o.kuchingkayak.com/2007/04/02/expensive-white-canoe/:

Expensive White Canoe

by FH2o on April 2, 2007

This must qualify as the world’s most expensive white canoe; or rather a 1991 painting titled “White Canoe” by Scottish-born artist Peter Doig (who is living out his reputation as Europe’s most expensive living painter) that fetched a mind boggling $10 million at an auction at Sotheby’s according to a post by Gabrielle Lim & Peng Hee from Kuching at their blog creeART which showcase their own beautiful original artworks which I believed they sell for considerably much less!

peter-doig-white-canoe-s.jpg

Image of Peter Doig’s White Canoe from http://www.fh2o.kuchingkayak.com/2007/04/02/expensive-white-canoe/.

As I noted in my conclusion of the post:

Well maybe I didn’t really find out what was the most expensive canoe in the world. Perhaps I only got a glimpse of the canoe’s real worth in a few quotes. But two things did stick out for me after my “tireless” research:

1) Currently my own canoe is painted white….like the canoe in Peter Doig’s painting of the same name. And that “White Canoe” fetched $10 million!!!!

2) While wood-canvas canoes are merely listed as moderately priced, they do require a certain amount of upkeep. Which is just part of the joy of owning such a canoe….the smell of wood, varnish, or even paint are as special as wood-canvas canoes themselves. To me, whether painted white, red or dark green, especially after the work I’ve put into it, my canoe is (as the VISA ad says): PRICELESS.

Well at least it is easier to paddle a real live canoe than one in a painting LOL LOL.

Paddles up until later then….and I expect to be moved….since canoeing to me is priceless.

NOTE: At the time of writing that blog post I was in the final stages of a minor restoration of my then Peterborough Minetta....I'd sanded off the red paint and had applied white as a 'base coat'....later I painted it green....

Any way, I still think any wood canoe....or any time I'm paddling....is PRICELESS!!!!

I loved the article The World's Most Expensive Canoe, http://canoez.blogspot.com/2011/10/worlds-most-expensive-canoe.html (thought I'd post a link to as I couldn't see one in original post).....always love reading this blog.

Last edited:
I remember the post about the painting - 'twas a good one!

I was just amazed when we started tallying up the costs that had been accumulated by the idea of building a canoe - and they haven't even got to the roof racks, paddles and PFD's yet! At one point I remember being relatively impressed (appalled?) by a $10K price tag on an old Morris in great condition. This takes the cake, 'tho.

Back