Who made this canoe?

ACE1950

Curious about Wooden Canoes
DSCN0447 (2).JPG

DSCN0448 (2).JPG

DSCN0450 (2).JPG

DSCN0452 (2).JPGCan anyone take a stab at identifying the maker of this canoe? I can find no serial # or makers tag. The dimentions are 15'X36"X12". The ribs are tapered and lightly chamfered. The decks are convex.

Carl

Hello Carl,

It could have been made by any of a number of canoe companies, US as well as Canadian builders. The posted pictures are not close enough to make out enough construction details.
However, I suspect it might be a Canadian builder.
Please post a couple of better close-up pictures of the decks, a side-view showing the ends, a close-up of the ribs, seats and thwart. Please measure the size of the ribs and their spacing. When you measured the width of the canoe did you include the outside gunnels in the measurement?

Sincerely
Dick Persson
Headwater Wooden Boat Shop
Phone: 705-657-2601

Hi Dick,

Thanks for your quick reply! The canoe in question belongs to a friend who lives in New Jersey. I'll ask him to take additional closeups and measurements you requested. hopefully he'll have it all together this comming weekend.

Thanks again and I'll be back in touch with additional info.

Carl

Additional Info

Dick Persson asked for some additional measurements and some more pictures. This is what I was able to get:

Rib width varies from 2 1/16" to 2 3/16"
Rib spacing from 2 to 2 3/4"
Outside measurement gunnel to gunnel is 36 3/4".

Atttached are pics from the owner.
Thanks!

Carl

Attachments

• Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_004.jpg
    Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_004.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 403
  • Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_006.jpg
    Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_006.jpg
    856.5 KB · Views: 412
  • Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_009.jpg
    Canoe_pix_Carl_s_camping_pix_009.jpg