Who made these paddles

Paul Miller

Canoe Nut
Hi,

Attached are pictures of some older paddles that appear to be made by someone other than a home builder.

There are remnants of decals on both paddles. One shows the best outline of the complete decal, the other shows the last word in the lower right corner as "Bros."

The paddles are multiple pieces laminated but on the long axis as seen the the picture of the edge of the blade with the black line in the middle.

The paddles were aquired with a Willits Bros. canoe but I've never seen paddles like these or the logo.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Attachments

• IMAG1108.jpg
    IMAG1108.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 665
  • IMAG1110.jpg
    IMAG1110.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 646
  • IMAG1112.jpg
    IMAG1112.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 639
  • IMAG1113.jpg
    IMAG1113.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 661
  • IMAG1114.jpg
    IMAG1114.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 659
  • IMAG1115.jpg
    IMAG1115.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 672
Is that a dowel inserted into the thick part of the grip? I saw that once, many years ago... can't remember when or right now. Scout camp?

For what it's worth I've got a pair of paddles with the same method of construction, although the blades may be shaped a bit differently. There are no decals or other markings. I was given them with a 1939 OT Yankee 3 or so years ago. They are quite heavy so I don't use them much, but like you have wondered about their origins.

Last edited:
...for whatever it's worth,... I once saw this type of paddle on e-bay advertised as a military surplus/life raft paddle.

I can't identify them but I have 2 Old Town spruce paddles that I purchased new in 1974 and they're still like new..they even have the original decals. Know anybody who'd like to buy them. I think back then I paid around $50 - $60 apiece for them and you can't get anything like them today. my email is madmanboston@gmail.com

Back