Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

White Canoe serial #WHC70384M84J

Discussion in 'Serial Number Search' started by Robert Werme, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Robert Werme

Robert Werme New Member

Called Old Town. The serial number indicates this boat was made the last month before Old Town bought White. There is no model name on it (I also own a Whitestream 14'), and it's surprising this canoe doesn't have the name stenciled on the bow. Does anyone know what this model would be called? Thanks.
    Robert

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017
  3. OP
    OP
    Robert Werme

Robert Werme New Member

Benson - thanks for the lead. My historical interest is fairly narrow, so before I drop $75 on your catalog (which I'm certain is worth the money), I'm going to poke around for a bit longer.

Tally Ho!
    Robert

4. Benson Gray

I may not have been clear that you can click on the thumbnail image of the catalog page to see a larger image that will show you the models that they offered along with the dimensions. Another option is to share the dimensions here and I will try to match them up with the ones from the catalogs. Good luck,

Benson

5. OP
    OP
    Robert Werme

Robert Werme New Member

Ahh ... thanks for the clarification. My canoe is 17', which is right smack between the Scout 16 and the Guide 18. Perhaps they added this size between 1978 and 1984?

6. Benson Gray

Your canoe shipped in May, 1984 and White's sale to Old Town was effective on October 31st, 1984. The 1985 White catalog from the collection shows two 17 foot long canoes. The fiberglass model was called the Whitecap and the ABS one was called the Wilderness.

Benson

7. OP
    OP
    Robert Werme

Robert Werme New Member

Oh Benson! You're the best - thanks, dude! :)