White brass tag

mccloud

"Tiger Rag" back on the tidal Potomac
In Memoriam
The attached photo shows the brass tag from the deck of a 1948 White 16 foot canoe. The deck was attached by 2 iron wood screws (part of one visible), plus an iron spike thru the gunwale tips and deck. The brass tag was held onto the deck with two small iron nails (rust visible). This brass tag appears to be identical to the White decal that Dan Miller has shown on his Dragonfly canoe identification pages. On my brass tag all the lettering is raised. So my question is this: what did the brass tag look like when the canoe left the factory? Was it just shiny brass, or was the background colored white or something else with the raised letters showing? Tom McCloud

Attachments

• STH70977_crop.jpg
    STH70977_crop.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
I'm not sure but the attached images show two other White tags from a collection of pictures that Ralph Kohn took at the Assemblies over the years. One is very similar to yours. Good luck,

Benson

Attachments

• DSCN9142.JPG
    DSCN9142.JPG
    629.2 KB · Views: 368
  • Scan-085a.jpg
    Scan-085a.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 362
Thanks, Benson. The image of the tag to the left looks 'attractive' with the darker background and raised brass letters. No evidence of a light background on either of those tags. Now I need to figure out how to bring back that dark brown background. Any gunsmiths out there? Would a browning compound work on brass? Tom McCloud

You might try active sulfur. I would try it on the back first, or even a different piece of brass.

i dont think the one to the left has raised letters just the all brass one does, but if you like it that way you could spray paint it black and just wipe off the raised letters and presto.

Birchwood Casey makes what they call "Brass Black" which is used to darken/antique bright brass on muzzleloading guns. Track of the Wolf sells the stuff, $7 or so. trackofthewolf.com I have never tried it but it might be an easy solution. Just a thought.

Peace,
Jim

Gun bluing, applied with a soft cloth or even a small paint brush, will turn shiny new brass into a dark, antique-looking surface. Available in a small bottle, fairly cheaply, at most sporting goods stores. This is especially helpful if you have an older canoe with good surface, but having a broken or missing stem band. Replacement with new brass doesn't have the right look and seems out of place but, with a few wipes of gun blue, you have a restoration that fits right in, even improves with time. You can rub some off if it is too dark, or apply more if not dark enough. You can even create a mottled, uneven antique look that imitates a natural aging process.

Roger

Last edited:
Back