Help support the WCHA Forums by making a tax-deductible donation!

Where to sit?

Discussion in 'Canoe Sailing' started by Blott, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Blott

Blott LOVES Wooden Canoes

OK, I have finished my Peterborough Cedar Rib and have the sail kit for her. I took her out for our maiden sail on a wide section of the Great Ouse near home so that we could get acquainted with each other. The canoe came with a slatted seat which I propped up against the centre thwart (which in fact is just back from the centre). This made me slightly bow heavy as you can see from the photos; part of this is down to my mass. I am off on a canoe sailing weekend soon and need to add some flotation as we will be out on a large expanse of water in the Norfolk Broads and I need something just in case. I have long pillow air bags which I will strap along the sides and beneath the front and centre thwart but this leaves little room for me between them.

Should I be kneeling behind the centre thwart? I expect it will be trial and error.

016_zpsb3f41329.jpg

IMGP2367_zps925c77f0.jpg

IMGP2380_zpsb18b035f.jpg

IMGP2370_zpsf1e96aa0.jpg

2. Benson Gray

Benson Gray Canoe History Enthusiast Staff Member

The short answer is 'it depends' while trial and error will provide the longer answer. The key to sailing a canoe (or any other small boat) is typically described as 'movable ballast' which is you so try different things out and see what works best. Have fun,

Benson