where are the numbers?

Michael Leone

You call that a sail?
I can't seem locate the serial numbers on an
Old Town I picked up this weekend.
the owner said his father bought it for him in the 40's.
where should I be looking for the numbers?

thanks Mike::confused: :eek:

That's where I thought it should be, but there are no numbers.
It even has the removeble floor and togle like your photo, and
I don't think the boat has ever been refinished.

Post Photos

Michael,
You may want to post photos to help identify your canoe. If there are no numbers, it is most likely not an Old Town or the stems were replaced at one time. It is not unusual for any wood/canvas canoe to be called an Old Town.
The name Old Town is really sort of a generic term for this kind of construction. Similarly all colas are called coke generically.

It's an Old Town

It has a worn and faded Old Town decal on the fordeck,
I will post some pics shortly!

thanks Mike

@!#&*!7?

:eek: Well I think most of us would agree that this is
in fact an Old Town canoe.
and it does seem that there is something on the stem
in front of the togle that ends in #7.

what do you think?

thanks Mike

Is it Spring yet?!:confused:

Attachments

• new 001.jpg
    new 001.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 471
  • new 002.jpg
    new 002.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 484
  • new 003.jpg
    new 003.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 485
  • new 007.jpg
    new 007.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 480
  • new 008.jpg
    new 008.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 459
My guess is that you have an Old Town Otca model that is 17 feet long and may have originally had a design number 45 as shown at http://www.wcha.org/catalogs/old-town/designs/design45.gif on the web. You may need to use some paint stripper to reveal the serial number and a tape measure to verify the length. The numbers should be stamped on both ends so you may be able to get the missing parts from one end by looking at the other end. Good luck,

Benson

Looks like the serial number is there- I can see what looks like a "17" near the brass piece, and beyond that (preceeding it) there seems to be a 5- or 6-digit string of nimbers. Nice canoe- looks like an OTCA with outside stems, floor rack, rub rails, two-tone, etc. Very pretty.

Thanks to everyone for there input.
Now how about some advice on geting her back in the water.
The canvas is coming lose on bolth sides of the upper bow
and is a little deteriorated on the lose edges.
The wood is all in very good condition, but the finish is all cracled.
I don't whant to stip it all the way down because I whant to maintane
the dark patina of the wood.

Any sugestions would be helpfull.

Thanks. Mike

The canvas probably needs to be replaced if you intend to use it in the water. You could look up a local builder at http://www.wcha.org/buildsupply/ to see if they would be willing to help you. Some of the books at http://virtualbooks.wcha.org/ can guide you through the process if you want to do it yourself. "The Wood and Canvas Canoe: A Complete Guide to Its History, Construction, Restoration, and Maintenance" by Jerry Stelmok and Rollin Thurlow is a good place to start. These forums also contain a lot of detailed information and can help if you have other specific questions. Good luck,

Benson

Back