What might it be?

smallboatshop

Restorers
This is a 16' wood/canvas canoe with ribs 1 3/8", planking 2 3/4", ash inwales and 1/2 round ash gunwales. The gunwales are screwed on every third rib rather than every other rib. The keel is wide and is screwed in on every other rib with these screws set off center, alternating from left to right. (see photo). All the screws including stemband screws are square drive.

What to you think?

Linda & Dan

Attachments

• Copy of PICT0031.JPG
    Copy of PICT0031.JPG
    58.7 KB · Views: 579
  • Copy of PICT0032.JPG
    Copy of PICT0032.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 560
Robertson head screws indicate a Canadian built canoe. Deck, ribs and painters ring suggest it is probably a Chestnut but could be a Peterborough. Check the stems for a serial # to positive ID it.

I'd agree, looks like a narrow ribbed Chestnut. I'd have to see more to change my mind. As for screws, anything other than a Robertson screw is a bad idea. Slot head screws are an abomination. Do I have strong opinions about this or what!

Haven't had much experience with Chestnuts but the one's we've seen have shaped decks. Did they make them with decks like these?

Dan

smallboatshop said:
Did they make them with decks like these?

Yes, that is a typical shape for PeterNut canoes. I agree with the others, looks like a Chestnut. If it is a Chesntut, it may or may not have a serial number. If it does, it won't tell you anything. If it is a Peterborough or Canadian Canoe Co., it will have a serial number, and one part of that number will be the model number, which can be matched up with model numbers in the old literature. Also, look for the shadow of an old deck decal. It's shape will also be a clue.

The later Chestnuts had this shape of deck, the older ones had a heart shaped deck. All the Peterboroughs that I've seen, had this kind of deck, but the really olds ones had decks quite different. The Peterboroughs that I've seen didn't have the narrow ribs.

Back