What kind of Canoe is this?

weizened

I have been trying to figure out what type of canoe this is, I acquired it in a trade. There is paperwork that says it had the canvas redone in 1996, but there is nothing else with it. The wood looks original and is in pretty good shape, but no serial #. Someone mentioned it may be a Rice style boat. I am pretty new to this, but am interested to know what it is, what its worth, and if I should restore it or leave it as is. The pics are not the greatest, but I have not picked up the canoe yet, could maybe take better pics later.

Thanks,

Ned Weizenegger memo lew 006.jpgmemo lew 008.jpgmemo lew 005.jpgmemo lew 009.jpgmemo lew 002.jpgmemo lew 007.jpg

Your canoe was built by the Thompson Brothers Boat Manufacturing Company, and is most likely their Indian Model. The torpedo stemmed Thompsons were built between 1928 and 1950.

Dan

Wow, thanks for the quick response Dan, and the great information, did I get a good deal at $500.00? My wife and I will probably use it to harvest wild rice later this summer. Do you think its worth restoring or would it better to just use the canoe?

Do you think its worth restoring or would it better to just use the canoe?

I don't see anything that needs to be done to "restore" it. It looks in useable condition. Periodic maintenance would include light sanding and re-varnishing.

Hi Ned,

The person who suggested it was a "rice style boat" was probably referring to the torpedo ends. The traditional Ojibwe ricing canoe has torpedo ends. The attached image is of a model built by Tappan Adney. This profile became popular on wood-canvas canoes during the second decade of the 20th century, when the canoe began to be used recreationally and for "courting". Many courting canoes have this torpedo shape. The Old Town Molitor model (built from the mid-60s onward) has this look and is built without thwarts, leaving the center open. Vintage courting canoes had a removable center thwart, which allowed for an open center. My understanding is that the traditional ricing canoe of the Ojibwe had an open center so that the rice could be knocked onto a blanket on the floor of the canoe and the blanket could be removed without having to work it around thwarts.

You certainly did get a good deal at $500-- a beautiful canoe with interesting history. Enjoy!
Kathy

Attachments

• OjibwayRiceHarvestCanoe.jpg
    OjibwayRiceHarvestCanoe.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 367
Back