What is this ?

Not seen in person yet. 1917 written on planking under old canvas at bow.
Is it an early Carlton maybe.

Attachments

• IMAG0271.jpg
    IMAG0271.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 418
  • IMAG0274.jpg
    IMAG0274.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 423
  • IMAG0275.jpg
    IMAG0275.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 427
  • IMAG0277.jpg
    IMAG0277.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 449
Last edited:
Likely from the Charles River area. Maybe a Nutting. Could also be Brodbeck or Robertson. Multiple deck styles from some of these makers. Nutting and Brodbeck caned seats this way.

Also, ribs don't appear to be tapered, supporting the idea that it could be a Charles River canoe. Maybe a profile picture would help.

"ribs don't appear to be tapered"

Yes, that was one of the reasons to ID as Charles River-area. The others - (1) gunwales are chamfered on inside bottom edge except at thwarts (and presumably seats... cannot see in photos), (2) thwarts look like from some CR builders, (3) seat caning style and pattern, and (4) presence of canopy mounting brackets attached to gunwales. These brackets were readily available aftermarket to anyone, but are most commonly seen on CR-area canoes.

H

Thank you all for responding. I will try to see the canoe in person ASAP to see what other details
can be found and inquire as to any history known about it, location etc. I did tell the fellow who
owns it, that it is definitely a keeper and should be restored properly. Will keep you posted.....biff

We now have that boat and intend to restore it with some help. It won't become bookcases. It bit us this morning...some wasps have made themselves too much at home

What strikes me most is the narrow planking on the bottom but the top boards are quite wide. Overall its 15'3" and 34.5 inches wide. Looks to be pretty shallow.

Paddlefancy we are just down the street from its former owner and you are quite welcome to come examine it.

What I can't take a picture of is the decks. They are carved beneath front to back for so the edges do not bite into the hands. Thicker toward the end, thinner at the open edge.

The canoe has no trace at all of varnish. All surfaces only look like they were ever painted. I am not sure if external wood stem bands are common. and then there is brass stem band on top of the wood. The ribs indeed are untapered and evenly spaced along the length of the hull.

Kim - The canoe looks like the usual short-decked wood-canvas product from the builders of the Boston area, varnished inside and canvased outside. Your first pic shows canvas under the outside rail cap. Other pics show aged varnish inside the canoe and all of its trim. No paint. The "wood stem bands" are really outside stems, used by many makers but especially common on canoes from the Boston area. The brass is the usual stem band. Do you plan to restore? This one looks straightforward with minimal damage.

Yes we plan to restore but it's our first and we will seek mentoring from Tom MacKenzie.. Some trips to SC are in order. We are so far quite pleased with minimal damage but we need to check closer.

Also, the screw holes in the center of alternately-spaced ribs (as seen in your first photo) suggest that the canoe originally had a keel, as is common with canoes that have outside stems, like these:

sm cr 100_1076.jpg

If there is no keel to join and fill in between the ends of the exterior keels, the ends of the stems under the hull would have to be tapered for a smooth, non-snagging transition to the hull surface.

Greg

Thanks for the critical eye Greg. A very close inspection reveals screws that were sawed off flush and very carefully at that. The stem ends under the hull both have jagged ends. perhaps the keel was actually broken at some point.

If canoes could talk!

Thanks for the critical eye Greg. A very close inspection reveals screws that were sawed off flush and very carefully at that. The stem ends under the hull both have jagged ends. perhaps the keel was actually broken at some point.

If canoes could talk!

The second picture in the first post shows mounting hardware on the inside of the gunwales to hold a canopy which was not uncommon for Charles River area canoes. Biff, when you start taking it apart be careful with the gunwale caps and side caps. They are easily broken. Even with the poor tips, save them, scarf in new tips and re-use them. It will be less work than making new ones. I expect you will find the decks and thwarts to be mahogany. Nice find and good luck with the restoration. I have always had a weak spot for closed gunwale canoes.

Jim

Back