What is that canoe anyway?

what is it?

Dave, I dont know specifically what it is, but if I bought it off of ebay it would lead to this.....:eek:

Attachments

• a man in doghouse2.jpg
    a man in doghouse2.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 437
I will try my hand at posting a couple pictures of this mystery object, if ya don't mind! Those ebay listings evaporate and then no one knows what you were talking about.

Attachments

• little old tub.jpg
    little old tub.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 447
  • strange seat in funny tub.jpg
    strange seat in funny tub.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 419
...and now I have a question...

There's an EM White on eBay, but I find myself drawn to the dark blue canoe next to it. I emailed the seller to ask questions about it, but the seller's wife said he wasn't available but that it (the dark blue canoe) is his favorite and that he is a member of WCHA. So I'll post pictures and maybe the owner (or someone else) will fill me in eventually--- it looks like a very cool canoe. Please note that while the EM White looks nice, it's the mystery canoe in the darker blue skin with kind of a sharp nose and what appear to be very fine closed gunwales that's cranking my interest-- and purely out of a desire to learn.

Attachments

• white1.jpg
    white1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 446
  • white2.jpg
    white2.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 435
  • white3.jpg
    white3.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 461
  • white4.jpg
    white4.jpg
    2.4 KB · Views: 503
thanks Kathryn

I think the canoe you see in the background is another White. Notice how the outwhales go past the stem? Reminicent of a bark canoe, with extended outwhales. Just a guess, I am no expert. but I still wonder the story on the stubby canoe. i think it was over $900. last time I checked.

Notice how the outwhales go past the stem?

That is also a feature of the earliest Old Towns, as well as Boston and Charles River canoes, so can't really be used to distinguish on its own. It also appears they were re-tipped, so no guarantee they are as original...

Back