What is "open spruce"?

Brian J Knudsen

Enthusiastic about Wooden Canoes
Hello knowledgable people,

This seems like a silly question and one that is probably answered somewhere in past forums. What is "open spruce"?

I am beginning a project that is over my head, but I'm excited to give it a shot. I have a 1923 Otca with many problems.

I will need to work on the inner rails among many other parts and I'm looking for the correct spruce to for this task.
IMG_2168.jpeg
IMG_2171.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_2178.jpeg
    IMG_2178.jpeg
    312.6 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_2180.jpeg
    IMG_2180.jpeg
    340.9 KB · Views: 210
Brian,
Open refers to the spacing between the ribs.
Closed would have a gunwale cap covering the open spaces.
The type of spruce you would want for replacement would ultimately be Northern White Spruce, which is very hard to find in long clear lengths, if at all.
Many of us now use Sitka Spruce.

Boy Brian, I still don't like the profile of those rails - I'm still wondering if the thwarts are the right length. Unless... are there 2 or 3 breaks in each rail? That would sure explain it. O - did the canoe come with seats? If so what happens to the rail profile when you slip them into place?

Hello Howie,

There were seats and three thwarts. I took the seats out and removed the center thwart just before I took the picture above. I don’t think the rails moved much after I removed the seats and that center thwart.

I’ll get the measurements of the thwarts and share them. Perhaps someone has the length of thwarts in a 17’ 1923 Otca. I do believe there are other breaks in the rails. For starters, each thwart has two screws in addition to the diamond head at both ends of the thwart.

Thank you,
Brian

Yeah, those screws through the rails and into the thwart did nothing to strengthen the rail. And that's right - I already checked your thwart sizes from what you told me earlier & they seemed ok. Maybe try that paint stick & c-clamp idea at every break in the rail & see what the profile looks like.

Brian,
Because you are located in Larchmont, Westchester Co., NY, the best place for you to get Sitka Spruce is from Condon Lumber in White Plains. Their website is: condonlumber.net. They also have a yard in Stormville, Dutchess Co., which is where I went to pick up a length of Sitka last month. I am located in Orange County.
Good luck,
Jim

Thanks for the tip! I actually talked to them yesterday. It seems like they are very helpful and I'm only 30 minutes away.

Back